Oliver + S

fabric has beautiful finished edge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    ljmonchik @ljmonchik

If got some beautiful fabric with a scalloped edge. I want to make twirly skirt for 6 y.o. but fabric is very sheer and needs a lining. Which skirt pattern should I use? The swingset skirt is favorite of mine but the bottom of it is curved– which I can’t do because that would get rid of edge of fabric. Sorry– I’m sure this is a simple question but I have no idea how to make a twirly, lined skirt with a fabric that can’t be hemmed at the bottom. Does this make sense?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

If you have enough fabric/depending on what size you want, you could use the lazy days skirt pattern but cut 2 skirt panels (sew them together at the sides) so there’s a little more twirl factor. Like what my eldest daughter did here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27858004@N05/3710478639/ Cutting a lining would be the same, only a little shorter and you’d need to hem the lining. You could use the instructions from the swingset skirt to sew the lining and skirt fabric together. Or you could fiddle with the swingset pattern and make the bottom hem straight across so that essentially you have an a-line skirt.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The Music Box Jumper View A has a straight hem and could also be used. You could even gather the skirt instead of pleating if you want. You might have to fiddle with the button placket at the hem if you’re using two layers of fabric for the skirt, but I think if you treat them more or less as one layer when you’re constructing, it shouldn’t give you too much trouble and would be very cute with a scalloped edge. I hope you’ll show us!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.