Oliver + S

Fabric Choice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    NCMimi @NCMimi

I plan on making the Forest Path cape for my 18 month old granddaughter. Would love to use something washable. Any recommendations? Thinking possibly corduroy or denim. Has anyone used washable wool? Thanks for any help!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made this yet but I am planning too.

I would definitely push a machine washable wool, the drape would be much nicer. Many wools can be machine washed (on an appropriate cycle with a wool wash product and then air dried)

I made the Little Things to Sew capes for my girls, both these wools are machine washable and the drape is beautiful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/14423567452/in/set-72157640018176946

I would recommend something silky like bemsilk for a lining.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I have some heavy wool tweed set aside for my daughter for the Forest Path cape and have already put it through the washing machine. I wear my Woodland Stroll one often, it’s a wool coating, and it’s been washed many times. I say go for it. All of my kids clothes go through the wash. Only the hand knits get treated to the wool cycle. The merino and wool fabric things get the regular wash cycle!

I’d rather sew another one that bother with dry cleaning or hand washing!

Nicole, if you happen to make it to Melbourne on your hols there’s enough of that wool coating that I know you like for another cape. Drop me an email.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I just have a question, where would you recommend going to purchase wool fabric for this particular pattern? Any online places? I haven’t sewn with wool for coats in particular because I just have issues finding it locally. It might be helpful to know what places are recommended.

LINK

Tamara, I’ve never seen a wool that I didn’t like at The Fabric Store and they sell online. http://www.thefabricstore.com.au

LINK

Some wool coatings on special: http://www.thefabricstore.com.au/featured-specials

I’ve seen that pink/grey herringbone and it’s the perfect weight. At $15/metre it’s a bargain too!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you McStitch, I will!

We are definitely checking out the fabric store in Sunshine.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

As for shopping for wool online. I ask them to rub it on the inside of their wrist (the spot were you check a lambs bottle for warmth) if it is not prickly there, it should be good to wear.

LINK

A lamb’s bottle? 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes that is partly why I have probably avoided it – growing up with itchy wool doesn’t conjure fond memories. I think I have been searching in the wrong spot. $15 is a bargain when you look at the original price. I mean one doesn’t want to spend millions on fabric for kids clothes knowing full well it will most likely do for only one year. All the places I have seen online in Australia were asking hideously expensive prices – mind you the fabrics looked far too sophisticated for a child’s outfit.

I will check out those specials.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh when feeding orphan lambs you have to check for heat similar to bottle feeding our own babes – the tender part on the wrist does the trick. The bottle isn’t specific but the teat is – we use water bottles (not that we currently have “babies” to feed).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Where do you check it? 🙂

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Wool suiting is usually nice and smooth. I find that the back of the neck is particularly vulnerable to itchies– maybe choose something silky or velvety for that bit of facing. I love to repurpose fabric– might you get your cape out of a suit jacket or woman’s skirt? 18 mo is pretty small. You can find things made from lovely fabrics for a few dollars at the thrift shop. I pre-shrink wool by putting it through a dryer cycle with a wet towel.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I love this discussion. Lamb’s bottle!

LINK
    NCMimi @NCMimi

Thanks! Great suggestions…I was thinking most wools would need dry cleaning. Maybe lamb’s wool?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.