Oliver + S

Double-sided wool melton

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

I have just received 6 yards of red wool melton in a lovely big box from fabric.com (2 days to get to Australia – how’s that!). My question is – can I use whichever side of the fabric I like (is that what “double sided” means?). I notice heavy coats usually have the felt side out, but I really like the look of the weave which shows up on one side. Next question – is it really mean to make all 3 kids red coats?

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

Hi, Toyota888,

There is a long discussion about the Fabric.com wool melton over at Pattern Review:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/43991

You may need to register with the site to read the whole thing, but it’s very informative. There’s some disagreement about whether these fabrics are double-faced or double-cloth, but the bottom line is that you can use whichever side you like best. After all, you paid for both!

I have two yards of the red wool melton sitting on my sewing table (and black, and eggplant, and light purple, and robin’s egg blue . . .) and I can see why you like the look of the woven side!

If you do decide to dress all three kids in red wool coats, I hope you share the pictures!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Oh thank you norasroom – that link was really useful. Luckily I have all summer over here to sew 3 coats – I’ll need it!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Coat 1 is in the Flikr group now – only 2 to go!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.