Oliver + S

Does anyone have a Brother?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

and if so, how do you deal with the annoying centimeter markings on the needle plate? I’m very frustrated today that I realized the seam guide attachement only works with a specific model, so I’m stuck with no seam guide! I thought I loved this new machine, but now I’m very frustrated that it only works for metric sewers.

LINK
    homefire @homefire

I’m sorry you’re so frustrated, you could measure it yourself and use a piece of masking tape or maybe a sharpie (this might rub off on your fabric) to mark the measurements. I have a brother and I love it. I’ve used it heavily for 5 years, don’t take care of it properly, and has never even hiccuped for me so don’t give up on it yet ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

When I clicked on the thread I didn’t realize you meant sewing machine and I was wondering what my 3 brothers had to do with sewing. ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I worked on a metric machine this summer, and I used a piece of blue painter’s tape to mark my 1/2″ line, and that worked pretty well for me. (It was a borrowed machine.) My mom used an old Morse machine and we put a piece of Scotch Tape on the plate with 1/4, 1/2 and 5/8″ marks on it because the machine didn’t have any at all.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Me too Rebecca!

I thought o+s was being used for a match making service!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yup, I use little bits of colored masking tape (I have a Husqvarna which also has a metric plate). There’s a non-metric plate available for mine, maybe there’s one out there for yours too? Not sure what model you have, but here are a few:

http://www.sew4less.com/browse.php?CategoryID=46&filter_brand_id=13&filter_model_id=

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I have a very very basic Brother (as opposed to my real brother!!) – and the needle plate has both metric and imperial measurements on it – the metric ones are the most obvious, but I just wing it with my seam allowances – and have never really gone wrong.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

@craftalitte & nicole – Not having any human brothers, I guess it never occured to me! I guess I figured Brother was a famous enough brand.

I’ve actually been using tape to mark my seam lines as well. But only because I was waiting for a seam guide to arrive. It just doesn’t seem quite right that such a fancy brand new machine should require the duct tape and chewing gum method of repair to work properly! With my old singer, I scratched some extra lines right into the face plate but the Brother has it so junked up with centimeters that I can’t.

Thanks Sarvi, I will look for that plate.

LINK
    CILOU @CILOU

Like justmejay, my very basic Brother has both measurements on it (and I only realised it had imperial measuremens on it when starting to sew with O+S!

LINK
    millie @millie

My immediate thought was that someone looking for a new man too! That is common turn of phrase around here, if a girl meets a nice guy who, it turns out is taken, she might ask “if he has a brother?!”.

I have a Husqvarna machine and all the markings are in imperial measurments…I on the other hand would rather work in Metric! I usually wing it too! Depending on the pattern, I get used to how much should be to the right of the presser foot and stick with that, especially on curves.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I think it is a common enough brand- but I happen to be losing my mind. For example- one of my brothers (human ๐Ÿ™‚ ) is currently stationed in Japan and has been for almost 2 years. When I heard about the earthquake and a friend was checking to see if everyone he knew there was ok- I though- Hmmm…I don’t know anyone in Japan. Only when my mom texted me to tell me that my sister got a short email from him saying that he was fine did I realize how foolish I had been. I blame lack of sleep! ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think you’re not the only one, craftalittle — my sister in law recently received a nice note wishing safety for her friends and kin who might be affected by the tsunami (she is Chinese Singaporean).

meleliza, hang on to your metric plate if you buy another — that way you can switch between the systems and use patterns from around the world.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.