Oliver + S

Divided by a common language

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

University is the place of higher learning at which you earn your degree (or not 😉 )
    As per Sarvi there are schools for each area: Law school, veterinary science etc.
    College is the hall of residence that you can choose to live at if you’re from out of town.
    This may, or may not have been typed from the loo….

LINK
    kahawa101 @kahawa101

Sanga – sandwich
    snag – sausage
    loo – toilet

That’s hopefully remembering correctly – it’s been over 10 years since I’ve lived in AUS! I’ve had too many influences on my colloquial English over the years and now have a mishmash vocabulary (and a currently Chicago/Midwest accent). I find myself adopting the lingo of wherever I live, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to order a soft drink!

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

how many of us Yanks grew up “using the john” when we had to use the bathroom? That term is not in use much anymore, and heaven only knows how it came into being.

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

Well done kahawa101. We also have another little gem “the long drop” which refers to toilets usually out in the bush. Its a very deep hole with a little shed built over the top and a toilet set. Not very hygienic, extremely smelly and the flies in the summer are unbelievable.

We lived in Samoa for a few years and long drops are very common in villages out of town, usually built on the side of a hill, so no need to dig a hole. One particular village had a few pigs and every time someone headed towards toilet the pigs would run around to the bottom of the long drop and look up. Nothing puts you off more than lifting the lid on the toilet and seeing multiple sets of eyes watching you.

Time to throw some snags and prawns on the barbie. Ohh what a wonderful world we live in.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

we call those outside toilets outhouses, still in use at some camps as well in places off the grid (no electric access, not uncommon around the hills and mountains). My husband grew up using outhouses in North Carolina, no indoor plumbing until about 40 yrs ago for his family. We call indoor flush things toilets, he refers to them as commodes which the rest of us in NY say in reference to the portable bedside toilets that are at bedsides for those in need. Then there are port-o-potties or porto-sans (actually a company specific name) for those outdoor toilets at outdoor festivals and concerts as well as at outdoor work sites. No holes dug, they are self contained and pumped out. ok, enough of this potty talk !

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.