Oliver + S

Creative solutions for a goof up!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

Hi everyone,

I have just made my first Hopscotch dress for my little girl. I have limited experience sewing with knits and while attaching the yoke to the skirt front, I missed the edge of the yoke and there is an unfinished seam showing. Normally I would get my seam ripper out and re-do the seam, but I used some crazy jersey stitch on my sewing machine that would be a bear to try and remove. I am afraid it would ruin the fabric completely. I honestly thought about just starting over, but thought I would finish and then use a button or flower to cover the mistake. Now I’m not so sure it looks right with something off center at that position on the dress.

Am I making sense? Anyway, I’d like your opinions on what you would do if this happened to you. The dress is finished, other than the skirt hem, and I am stumped…

Thanks!

LINK
    sarahb @sarahb

Maybe a cluster of flowers or a pattern or evenly spaced ribbon flowers along the seam to cover it up? Topstitch rickrack or a ribbon over the seam?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

How about a bow? In self fabric or large grosgrain. I’ve seen tons of knit tops with bows in rtw lately.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Could you go back and make the seam a little wider and catch the fabric in the second pass? You could trim the seam on the inside if it gets too wide.

I know what you mean about those stretch stitches. I had to take out about 11 inches. I sat in front of the TV with my seam ripper. One show later and I was done.

LINK
    paula @paula

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. Temporarily I just added a flower button. I may change it up and add a bow or make some fabric flowers!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koalapaula/8532710510/in/photostream

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I think the button is a nice touch!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You would be surprised how a well place label covers a stuff up. Just saying…….

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I love that little button, it looks like a purposeful detail.

I’ve made the exact same mistake on that pattern but I was lazy and just trimmed it down as close as I could so it wouldn’t show. 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I love the button! It matches the fabric so nicely and because of the asymetical yoke it totally compleates the top.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.