Oliver + S

Which serger stitch setting to hem the bottom and sleeves?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I finished three tops this weekend for my granddaughter and I love this pattern and fabric in the City Weekend interlock. I followed the pattern and serged the bottom and sleeves with “3 thread wide”. Then I used “cover hem wide” to hem. I did get some stretching is that expected?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

All machines are different, I did not get stretching with mine. With the cover stitch I just ease it through the machine, there is no need to stretch or pull as this stitch is designed to stretch and not break.

It may very well settle, perhaps a steamy press with an iron?

Sorry not to be more help!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you, I appreciate your help and experience, I will wash and dry. I took the City Weekend fabric to the shop prior to purchasing the serger and the shop owner recommended those two stitches. I just wanted to check in and see if I am on the right track.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

In my experience, the coverstitch stitches what looks like twin needle straight stitch on the right side and then a ‘back and forth’ stitch on the wrong side. It is therefore un-necessary to first stitch a 3 thread wide on the edge and then fold it up and stitch a coverstitch.

This double stiching probably created the stretching you encountered.

I have simply folded up the hem or cuff, and then stitched the coverstitch–lining up my right serger needle so it would stitch through both layers of fabric, and the left serger needle so it stitches just to the left of the turned up raw edge which one can feel through both layers of fabric as it is fed into the machine. that way the ‘back and forth’ of the cover stich neatly covers the raw edge on the wrongside. If you look at ready wear this is how hems and cuffs on knit wear is done. eliminates a step.

If one does not have a coverstitch machine (or serger with that capability) then one would indeed start with a serger three thread wide on the raw edge or a sewing machine zig zag, turn up the cuff or hem, and then stitch on the regular sewing machine a twin needle stitch.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you, that makes sense and I will follow your suggestion when hemming the next top.

LINK
    Aviatrix51 @Aviatrix51

I did a ruffly lettuce hem on the Hopscotch dress I made for my daughter. It came out very cute and she loves it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.