Oliver + S

Clipping into Staystitching?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @MaggieH.

Hello! I’ve sewn the neckline and armholes on my roller skate dress, and the next step is to trim the seam allowances to between 1/8″ and 1/4″ and then clip the curves so that they won’t pucker when the dress is right side out. Previously, though, the instructions said to staystitch the neckline with a 3/8″ seam (so the stitching is now 1/8″ away from the seam line). If I trim the seam allowances, the staystitching will be very close to the edge of the fabric. Am I supposed to clip into the staystitching? That doesn’t seem right to me, because the point of the staystitching is to prevent the neckline from stretching. There doesn’t seem to be enough of a seam allowance left after trimming to not clip into it, though. I’d appreciate any advice from someone with more staystitching experience than I! Thank you!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Stay stitching is a support for sewing, once the sewing is done it has done its job.

Clipping the curves is important for a nice neat turn and curve.

On a very sheer fabric, where the clipping will show, I trim the seam very closely and it will curve nicely but you need to be a bit careful.

I hope that helps?

LINK
    Maggie @MaggieH.

Thank you for your response, Nicole! I didn’t understand that staystitching is meant to aid in the sewing process, and doesn’t matter after that. I’ll now confidently clip to the seam line.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@MaggieH how did it go?

I dismissed this pattern as a bit of a dull sew UNTIL I sewed it.
    Very red faced, it is just lovely.

LINK
    Maggie @MaggieH.

Thank you for checking in, @motherof5 ! Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to proceed yet. I’m a student and have a lot of homework, so my sewing has to happen in small increments on the weekends. Hopefully I can get a little more done this weekend, though! After this version for myself I’m planning a roller skate in lace for my best friend’s birthday.

I absolutely love the fringe dress you made for your daughter. I initially thought that this dress was a bit young looking, but your and @beachmom ‘s roller skates convinced me that the style is perfect for teens, too. I think that the lowered waist makes the dress look quite sophisticated, and I’m excited to sew up this simple silhouette in different fabrics for different looks.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@MaggieH absolutely nothing wrong with slow sewing. Far, far better to have one good dress than half dozen rushed, ‘okay’ versions.

I will keep a look out for it and I am very keen to see your lace version.

Perfect your skills and pattern and you WILL have something you can see up for that last minute invite.

Good luck

xx Nicole

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.