Oliver + S

Chaval coat questions re: underlining and interfacing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    laurahoo @laurahoo

I’m excited to make this coat. It will be my first coat and first Leisl pattern. I’m using a silver and blackberry wool tweed (see attachments). My questions: is there any benefit to using an organza underlining where interfacing is not used? (I’ve underlined dresses with great success, but maybe it’s not important in a coat??) and does anyone have a recommendation about interfacing type? This fabric is not very stiff (see photo)but I don’t want to remove too much flowiness. I’ve tried the shape-flex woven cotton on a sample and am concerned that might make it too stiff. Any thoughts or experience with similar fabrics?

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by laurahoo.
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

That looks like it will be a very nice fabric for this pattern! I would say the underlining is completely your choice based on your fabric. If you’re concerned that the fabric isn’t substantial enough for this pattern I’d say go for it. In general, I tend to skip it and instead allow the fabric to drape. This coat is designed to be somewhat slouchy, so that would be my inclination.

LINK
    laurahoo @laurahoo

Thank you! The thing I love about the pattern is its slouchiness, so I probably will leave it out. But, I’m just starting my muslin, so I have time to decide and maybe do a comparison mockup. My goal is to finish by December 1.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.