Oliver + S

Button loop trouble

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

I’m having a bit of trouble making the button loop. Every time I try to sew the folded fabric it gets sucked down into the bobbin bit on my brother sewing machine 🙁 any tips?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Try placing tissue wrapping paper under the fabric before you sew it. After your done just pull/tare it away from the stitches.

I hope this helps!

~Sharon~

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Or you could start a little further from the end of the loop to give some traction. 1/4″ should be fine, and remember you’ll be sewing onto your fabric at 1/2″ so it’ll still be secure.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Sometimes a new, sharp needle will help too 🙂

Hollie

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I like to make mine a little longer, then let the extra length stick out behind the presser foot so I can hold it a bit taut. I’m not pulling against the feed dogs, just holding the little strip at both ends until the seam gets going.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

After you’ve made that little sucker you’re going to turn it inside out then chop bits off both ends to trim it to 2″ length…..

Then 1/2 an inch of each end will be under your stitched seam at the back.

So…. don’t stress about starting your stitching too close to the ends.

And tissue paper does work really well.

LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

Oliver and S forums to the rescue again 🙂 Thanks for your suggestions I’ll give them a try

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I second the tissue paper,works like magic.

LINK
    MimmySews @MimmySews

I make a longer tube.on the bias. (About 10″) As Sarvi said, hold it taut without pulling. I keep the extra so if I make another out of the same fabric (I have two grandgirls) I don’t have to reinvent the wheel. It also allows me to cut the strip a smidge longer so I can use a bit larger button.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, that’s a good point — if you don’t have the button picked out yet, you can audition different sizes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.