Oliver + S

Attaching the toggles?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

Last step and I can’t get the toggle sets I’ve purchased sewn on in a nice way.

photo

I know part of the problem is the stitch length but it’s also hard to work with all the fabric of the jacket around the machine.

I’m thinking maybe hand sewing is the best bet? Or if I machine sew, how do I get it to work better with the stitch length? I’m using a walking foot.

I do know I need to draw the line in chalk to follow.

And I’ve already taken one side off and the pleather has little holes, is there any way to fix it or so I just have to get it right on the first go?

I really want this last detail to come out well

Thanks!!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I’m sorry no one has replied. Have you figured out a solution? I would suggest going slowly, maybe hand cranking through the tricky parts.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You know, those don’t come with a scrap of the leather for getting your settings right, which is a shame, but I think I have used a little higher tension and longer stitch in the past. Do you have any scrap of something similar you can practice on? Old clothes, bags, toys?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Sadly I think you have to get it right first go as those little holes won’t go away.

I’d second the handcranking it one or two stitches at a time then moving it ever so slightly. A longer stitch will look best IF you can follow the line you draw, and make the leather less perforated and therefore less likely to tear off, but a shorter stitch tends to make a smooth curve easier to follow….

Do you need the walking foot due to the thickness? I find it can be harder to see what you’re doing with the walking foot because of it’s sheer size.

Hand sewing might be the neatest but you’ll need a thimble!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thanks. I will give it a go slowly with the adjustments.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m just now attaching these, and what I’ve done is slowly stitched through the leather with a leather needle but no thread, so I’m piercing a line of holes. Then I’ve gone back and sewn through them by hand. The first one’s a bit dodgy but the second one is looking better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.