Oliver + S

Attaching the cuff to the sleeve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    jodskiinca @jodskiinca

Ok, Nicole. I was looking at your tutorial and I’m so confused by the sleeve/cuff portion. First of all, I don’t see anything in the pattern about topstitching where the sleeve meets the yoke. Did you just add that? When did you do it?

Secondly, I see where you folded the cuff 4/8ths. I don’t see that in the pattern, either. I did everything as the pattern says to do and before I sewed it, I realized that wouldn’t work at all. The pattern says to slip the cuff inside the sleeve (I’ve folded the cuffs, wrong sides together and basted them 3/8″ from the edge, so they are already folded in half, lengthwise.), but it says to have the dress right side out, when I pin the cuff inside the sleeves. If I do that, I’ll be stitching the raw edges from the right side and the seam allowance will end up on the outside of the dress. HELP! I’m almost done! Woohoo! Can’t wait to make the next one, once I know what I’m doing! 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

You are correct. The seam allowances will be on the outside. But, in the next step you’re going to fold the cuff up over the sleeve, covering those seam allowances and tack it in place.

It will be neat inside and out.

The beauty of Oliver + S patterns is that if you surrender yourself to the instructions it always works out. You don’t have to think. Liesl’s done that part for us!

Good luck

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I probably detoured, I do that, sorry!

I like top stitching and add it where I can, if you read #3 blog post you will see where I added that. It was after I set in the sleeve and before I sewed the side seams.

From memory…. does the cuff fold back over the seam, covering it?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thanks Shelley!

We posted at the same time.

LINK
    jodskiinca @jodskiinca

I must be able to read your minds because I remembered someone else saying to “trust the pattern,” so I went and sewed it as written and voila! It actually worked! LOL. I am learning SO much! 🙂 I tried the dress on my daughter and can’t wait to finish it. I love it! Thank you for your patience and help! It’s really frustrating being the only one here asking questions and seeming like everyone else is understanding the pattern with no problems.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I often feel like that, like a sewing Newby asking questions which might seem pretty obvious to better sewers, but really that’s part of why these forums exist. I now love picking others brains and getting the benefit of everyone else’s experience. I’m looking forward to seeing the picture of your dress when it’s done!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There is never a silly question, and we never stop learning.

I love this forum so much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.