Oliver + S

Altering for large body type

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@AmyF I really hope it comes together for you. I was going to say measuring the back of the little girl you are sewing for would enable you to make sure you need to adjust in that area. Sometimes little girls can carry upper body weight – everyone is different in how they develop.

You will post pictures when it is done won’t you? Wishing you a joyful sewing experience (under a time constraint) and Hoping the little girl’s special day is a delightful one.

LINK
    AmyF @AmyF

Wow, those Ice Cream dresses are BEAUTIFUL! My daughter gets baptized in 6 months and I’m totally using that pattern after seeing how gorgeous those fabrics are!

I went over and measured the little girl. Her bust is 36 inches. Her waist and hips are also 36 inches wide and she is average height for an 8 year old. I debated using the Ice Cream Dress, but in the end, because of her large bust decided the garden party helps to disguise her development. I added 2 inches to the top band, 3 inches to the waist, and 4 inches total to the width of the front and back of the dress, plus a little extra in the back bodice and more room in the arm area. I omitted the back band completely. She really needs a zipper to make getting in and out of the dress easier. Instead of the back band I am going to add a tie/bow in the back.

The dress is 50% complete. I’m waiting for the little girl to come over for a fitting before I add the waistband (thanks for the tip Nicole!) and sleeves. I ended up tracing the family reunion sleeve because it gives her arms more coverage. What an adventure this has been!

I will post pictures when finished! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. You guys are wonderful!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am so glad it is all coming together nicely. I hope she loves it feels very pretty in it. Looking firward to seeing the photos.

LINK
    AmyF @AmyF

Here’s a picture of the finished dress. Thanks again for all your help and advice! It sure made this project easier for me to tackle. The dress fit beautifully and the recipient was thrilled with it. I don’t thinks she’s ever had a dress that fit her very well, so she was really excited.

LINK
    AmyF @AmyF

Trying again, last pic as too big to upload.

Attachments:
    LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Wow! It looks perfect! So glad the experience was a lot less painful than first thought😀

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

She looks gorgeous and so happy 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Well done, you should feel very proud.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

That is great! Job very well done.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Very well done. I am just catching up on this thread – it was so nice of you to go to all that trouble to make this little cutie happy on her important day!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, what a pretty dress on such a pretty little girl! You’re a wonderful friend to put so much into this, and you can really see in her smile how great she feels. Well done!

LINK
    Ock Du Spock @Ock Du Spock

What a great job you did on this dress!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.