Oliver + S

After school front pockets pocket question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    learningtosew @learningtosew

Hello! I made one pair of the after school pants in a light corduroy and now I’m trying denim (and am going to cut as shorts). Last time, I used a contrasting fabric for the front pocket and it looked really cute, so I’m going to do that again. I have a fun bird print and my idea is to have a bird peeping out of each pocket. However, I need to know which side (left or right) each pocket piece will go on, so the bird is visible and is not hidden by the front pant leg. When I cut the fabric with the pattern words facing up and the fabric right side up, does that piece end up on the left or the right leg? Which corner of the fabric will end up being visible — the upper-left or the upper-right corner of the pocket? Sorry, this is confusing to explain! Any advice would be welcome! –Jess

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

You’re on the right track that the grainline (and usually the typing) is the vertical axis of the pattern piece. Now to work out left or right:

The pocket piece is not symmetrical, so what you need to look for is the long, straight, vertical edge. This will be the edge that gets sewn into the side seam. The other vertical edge will have the curve at the bottom and not be so straight.

The long, straight side will form a right angle at the top with the waistband/yoke edge of the pocket.

That right angle is your outside, most visible bit of the pocket.

When you lay the pattern piece on the fabric (with fabric right side up) you want your little birdies looking towards that right angle, in order to be peeking out of the pocket. If the right angle is at the top LEFT of the pattern piece then you’ve got your wearer’s RIGHT hand pocket piece. Fip it over so the right angle is on the top RIGHT hand side and you’ve got your wearer’s LEFT hand pocket piece

I’d cut each pocket piece singly so you can place the fabric just right, remembering to flip the pattern piece over to cut the second one.

i hope that made sense….

LINK
    learningtosew @learningtosew

Thank you so much! I think I get it. I also need to account for the seam allowance, which is 1/2″ all around. Wouldn’t want the poor bird’s beak to get cut off. I’m going to try to work on this tomorrow night, my seam ripper will be at the ready!!! –Jess

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I did a sewing tute if that is any help? http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/after-school-frolics-part-two.html but Shelley explained it beautifully.

LINK

With a glaring grammatical typo on the very first word! Obviously that should be “you’re” not “your”

(that kind of thing really irks me and this forum doesn’t allow post editing after someone else has replied)

LINK

Thank you moderator grammar fairy!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You’re cracking me up with the grammar! And being able to edit a post is a great idea for the improved forums, when they happen. I’ll be pointing Todd to this…thanks!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

My pleasure. It would’ve bugged me, too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.