Oliver + S

Adult patterns comparable to Oliver + S?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

I absolutely love the simple elegance and depth of instructions in O+S patterns for kids and find myself wishing there was a similar option for adults. Is there such a pattern maker out there that you all have discovered? Please share, if so. I’m jealous of my kids’ wardrobe. LOL.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

http://www.hotpatterns.com are gorgeous but dont have diagrams , Amy Butler are cute !

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I’ve recently bought some Amy Butler and Anna Marie Horner patterns but have yet to make them, so don’t know if they’re anywhere near O+S standard! I am also a fan of ‘Make it Perfect’ patterns and have a few ‘Little Bird’ patterns too – they both have a good range of skirts! (btw – how many skirts does a girl need! I keep buying fabric for them!)

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’ve done both Anna Maria Horner, and Amy Butler patterns, and have found both of them really easy to understand. However, I’ve found that I’ve learned so much from the Oliver and S patterns (Thanks for the lessons!) that I have been able to return to the Big Company patterns and modify, make changes, make make it look so much better than I could have before I started sewing the Oliver and S patterns. (My mom always had to “rescue” me when I sewed from a standard pattern, which is impossible now because she’s 1,200 miles away.) I’ve also found that I’ll whip out the directions that are in the Oliver and S patterns, and totally ignore the directions from the pattern company if I think the techniques are similar to something I’ve already sewn.

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Thank you so much for the suggestions. 🙂 I checked out all of them and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Too cute! I think I can get the Australian patterns here in the US, right? I’ve looked at Amy Butler (a fellow Ohioian) and Anna Marie Horner but was unsure of the ease of making. They use both those designers, as well as O+S, for classes at a favorite fabric ’boutique’ in town. I just might have to look into it.

JohannaO, that’s a good point about the ‘Big Company’ patterns after O+S! I’m not quite there yet but I do have a pattern for a nightie I’ve been wanting to make. Of course, making clothes for my kiddos always wins out over something I can only wear at night. LOL

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I got out my ‘grownup’ patterns (Amy B and AMH) last night to read through instructions – not as comprehensive as O+S (!) but actually quite straightforward – I still class myself as a beginner sewer but after sewing the O+S patterns, I feel confident about making these!

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

I’ve made a few things for myself from “Make it Perfect” patterns designed by Toni Coward in Australia. Very straight forward instructions, I especially liked Shearwater Kaftan and the Versatile Wrap.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Loralee, while I was up in Ohio, I popped in on Sew to Speak in Columbus. If you’re in that area of OH, they seemed like a great resource. They even talked to me about how to further modify the grownup patterns they had in stock to make them look even better. I love local fabric shops. I can’t say my summer travels helped my fabric addiction though. 🙂

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

JohannaO, Sew to Speak is the exact fabric store that I mentioned (not by name)above. I just personally call it a ’boutique’ because it is way more than a store. 🙂 I am a Sew to Speak junky. LOL I was just there today, in fact. It is where I discovered O+S patterns, too. Sounds like I need to talk to them about making clothes for myself.

I now have the Amy Butler ‘Barcelona skirt’, Anna Maria Horner ‘Socialite’ dress, and the Make it Perfect ‘Shearwater Kaftan’ on my list. 🙂 Thanks everyone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.