Oliver + S

add length to the vest?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My nearly 9 year old measures size 8 in the chest, but is 58″ tall – the tallest that a size 12 accommodates. I’m thinking of a size 10 (for room to grow) but with extra length so he can wear this for more than one year.

It seems I should add the length at the side notches and reconnect the darts. However, this will impact button spacing. So should I do this and re- space out all the buttons?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yep! That’s what I would do. Surely you would only need to add one more on?

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I don’t have the pattern in front of me, but that sounds right. The only thing I would make sure you do it, measure! Measure the pattern and measure your son. 🙂 I have two boys, though they are similar in height, one carries it in the upper torso and the other, in the legs! 🙂 One needs things lengthened above the waist, the other, below. One son grew lots, but his shirt size took a few years to change, in length. 😉

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would be hesitant to add too much length, i think it may spoil the elegant line.
    Hugo is wearing his dress waistcoat today (in 43 d heat)! and I notice it is quite high at the back and not long at the front.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks, these are all good points. He is long everywhere, but more so in the legs than torso. He looks like a racehorse running across the soccer field! Upper body clothes seem to last much longer than pants, so hopefully 2″ will not spoil the vest and also last him a couple years. I started cutting it to work on over the holiday weekend, but got distracted by another project. And first thing Monday morning, I have a paying project that needs my attention. Maybe next weekend I’ll do the boys’ vests. I want them in pictures with Santa!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So I only finally started on these vests on Monday, but they’re already nearly finished! I only have to sew on the buttons and stitch the back closed. I was shocked at how fast the welt pockets went. I lined both vests up and worked assembly line style. I had really wanted to get them all to Santa for pictures in their new Christmas finery and only just today learned our favorite Santa packed it in. 🙁

We’re having thunderstorms and 60 degree weather for Chistmas Eve, so I’m unsure about photos. I’m also unsure about which hemisphere we’re living in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.