As soon as the Liesl and Co spring patterns were released I loved them all immediately. I decided to make the Tribeca Cami and Lisboa Walking shorts for my teenage daughter as I am not a big shorts wearer unless the weather gets really hot.
For the Tribeca Cami I decided to use swim fabric from my stash to make a cami that could be worn with shorts, skirts or jeans or could also be worn for swimming and the beach.
I made no alterations to the sizing of the pattern choosing the size as per body measurements, however I did use woven swim elastic instead of the recommended clear elastic so it will last longer in chlorine and salt water.
I love the way the straps are sewn in this pattern; they lay so flat against the skin and don’t twist or turn. I found the shelf bra to be a bit short when sewn up for my daughter so I used smaller elastic in the hem and next time I will extend the length by about an inch.
I sewed the majority of the cami on my sewing machine using a stretch stitch and a double needle for the hem and only used my overlocker for the side seams.
I love the look of the finished cami. My daughter has also requested a cropped version for my next one. I am also going to make myself a couple of simple camas to wear under shirts or blouses for our winter.
I had been admiring lots of paper bag shorts with large fabric ties on Pinterest and I knew the Lisboa Walking shorts pattern would be the perfect pattern to sew something similar.
I found some orange cotton sateen from my fabric stash which perfectly matched my swim fabric and some matching quilting cotton for the ties.
To make the ties I cut 2 rectangles of fabric 6” x 36” and stitched them together on the short ends to make one long strip of fabric. I then folded and pinned this right sides together and trimmed each end at 45 degrees to make the angled end of the tie. I stitched the pinned edges together from one end of the tie to the other leaving a 3” gap in the middle for turning. Once sewn I trimmed the corners, turned out the tie to the right side and folded the opening under to match the rest of the seam. I then topstitched the tie, stitching closed the opening in the process.
I sewed up the shorts using the 3” inseam (as my teenager loves short shorts) as per the instructions except that I used french seams on the edges of the pockets. I really like using french seams whenever I can to give a lovely neat finish. I did contemplate sewing the side seams with flat felled seams but decided to keep it simple for my first pair.
I love how these shorts turned out and I will make many more, maybe even some longer ones for me once the weather in southern Tasmania warms up later in the year.
I think both the cami and the shorts were a hit with my daughter and she looks great wearing them and the fit is amazing.