Banner day over here. It’s S’s 15th birthday! She’s taking her friends out for lunch to celebrate and then we’ll have sushi tonight, plus a special birthday gift. (She doesn’t read this, so I’ll tell you: she asked for an ice cream machine. Girl’s got priorities!)
Meanwhile, did you follow along with our Saint Germain Wrap Dress sew-along this week? I think Masha did such a good job with it, especially with explaining the fit and how to add a dart if you want/need one. I hope you’ll show us if you’ve finished!
When I saw these images I immediately thought of the Bento Tee and how it would lend itself to both of these ideas.
Two vintage images I just love. That pleated lining detail in the coat is genius, and I wish I had added it to my Chaval Coat.
The weather is warming up here in Madrid and I’m starting to think about summer dressing! You too? (It’s still a little too cold for some of you….) The first image, below left, reminds me of our Lisette for Butterick B6661 sundress style, and I recall saying something about adding ties to our Breezy Blouse similar to this, below right.
- I’ve been thinking about being the right kind of listener for S as she negotiates the stormy waters of adolescence, and the suggestions here are spot on, in my opinion.
- What we wear matters, no matter what our job or profession. These two articles felt meaningful to me as an illustration to that point: what to wear to interview a terrorist and what to wear when you defend an accused terrorist. Also, I just love the style of those illustrations.
- Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the last independent pleat workshop in Paris. So amazing!
- I stumbled upon this series of mother and baby portraits for Emilia Wickstead’s pre-fall 2020 show. So lovely! And what a fabulous idea.
- The real deal: pashmina.
- Video: how to press a jacket.
- Mend your jeans. And your sweaters. And your jackets. It’s pretty and it makes them last. Which is good for the environment, etc. (I posted my mended jeans yesterday!)
What else? We’ve got some fun features to share with you next week, so hurry back. Meantime, what are you sewing? I just received fabric for the sample sewing of our new spring patterns, so my next week or two will be busy!