Everything seems to be moving so quickly now that it’s December and we’re nearing the end of the year, doesn’t it? Todd and S spent the better part of yesterday and today baking and decorating Christmas cookies to give to friends while I tried to get some work done. I still need to finish writing and illustrating one spring pattern, which is really late compared to our usual schedule, and then I can think about gifts and decorating. But somewhere in the middle of it all I’m hoping to escape for an hour or two on Sunday afternoon to see the Modus. A la manera de España show that’s just gone up here in Madrid. It includes a mixture of traditional and contemporary pieces, so I think it will be interesting. I’m already in love based on this photo.
How are you holding up against the holiday madness?
We made this pear custard for a class that meets in our apartment on Saturday mornings, and it was so well-received that we quickly baked another and brought it to our friends at the market! It’s really quick and easy to make and is truly delicious. Also, I’m considering making a rolled pork tenderloin for Christmas. Anyone have a favorite recipe I should try? This looks so good.
It seems like everywhere I’ve turned this week, I’ve seen Hollywood Trousers, or at least photos that remind me of our Hollywood Trousers. I especially love these monochrome, dressy looks.
But speaking of the Hollywood Trousers, the photo below, left, reminds me of Erica’s tuxedo stripe version. And Kate’s are looking particularly elegant, aren’t they?
And hurray for corduroy! The denim trousers, below left, remind me of Camilia’s denim trousers.
- These were voted the best book covers of the year. What do you think?
- And while we’re at it, what do you think of the Pantone color of the year, coral?
- My favorite thing I read this week. I’m still thinking about it.
- This was also fascinating and explains why Made In America is so difficult these days.
- Next year’s food trends include some really great ideas (eco-conscious packaging!) and a few things that maybe express just how over-the-top our food obsession has become. (Fancy snacks, I’m looking at you!)
- Thinking about one of two of these to give as Christmas gifts.
- And speaking of over-the-top food, no. Just no.
- I won’t make it to the Museum at FIT’s Pink exhibition, but I’ll be sure to catch La Vie en Rose here in Madrid.
- This lovely, thoughtful piece about a sustainable wardrobe, at any price, is very worth reading.
What are you doing this weekend? Any sewing plans? I hope you get a chance to play with your sewing machine in between the holiday prep activities, at least. Meanwhile, we’ll be back next week with a trip to Barcelona and some holiday sewing ideas for the kids. Happy weekend!