Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,581 through 5,595 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Wow @needlewoman you will be busy.

I finished my shirt but I am unhappy with the collar, completely my fault, I should have muslined just the collar.

In a nutshell, I swopped the collar and made it too long and the collar stand ate it! I have not tried it on yet… too nervous. I hope it looks okay, I really want to wear it to my son’s party.

I started my son’s Jedediah trousers, just trying to decide to what colour stitching to use on the pocket decoration.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok the hot weather has hit and sifting through the baby’s nightwear, I have discovered she requires a more appropriate size of bodysuit. 3-6 months (or rtw 00) still fits but they are snug. So it is bodysuit time. I will trace the 6-12 and 12-18 month sizes together when she is napping so I don’t have to go back and trace again for a wee while.

While I am at it, I might get the pyjama patterns out and make some shortie pj’s too. They are always handy even though these days it is bodysuits and shorts she lives in at home.

These may carry into Kcw but what ever! They are required basics!

Fiona, that list! Wowee! I am so glad you had time enough to do all that productive prep work. I am looking forward to seeing them all finished.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m making Cashmerette’s new Appleton wrap dress. It has cup sizing up to F/G and hips up to 58″! So far it’s looking good. I’ll be interested to see the fit.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I spend a few minutes finding out more of this pattern you are using Heidi. It sounds very interesting and looks like a nice dress to sew. Will you show us a pic when you are done?

I thought about heading back into the sewing room this evening but decided on other things. It was just aswell as the evening would have been (pleasantly) interrupted.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I am working through the 7 Class Picnic blouses that I cut out at the ‘doghouse’. And I have a query for the forum re. trimming the yoke. I have made two CP’s a couple of months ago to which I added ric-rac on the seamlines of both the front, and back yoke. And the effect was attractive,I thought. Since then, I have wondered if it would help kids, and mums alike if I sewed the ric rac to the front yoke only in order to distinguish the front from the back. Without trim, or with trim front/back, you need to hold the top up by the shoulders to see the difference between the yoke shape at the neck.

Query: what do others think about embellishment at the front only? I’ve realised that previously I’ve added ric-rac “around” a garment – ie, the waist, skirt hem, or sleeve but this is a little different. Ladies, when you look at clothes for children, does it annoy you when trim is applied to the front only? Do you think it’s ‘cheap’ when this is done, or do you appreciate the difference, and the assistance it provides you, and your children with dressing? All opinions welcome.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Trim at the front is just fine 😊

LINK
    KAREN @Butterfliesandfaeries

Hi Everyone! Happy Autumn/Spring!

Needlewoman, I have added trim to just the front of lots of things and it was fine. On the first Class Picnic that I made (haven’t blogged yet) I added a little flower button and embroidered leaves to the front yoke. On the second Class Picnic blouse I added two square buttons to the front. On a recent peasant blouse I added a little ribbon tag to the inside of the back neckline to indicate the back of the blouse. You can’t see it when the child has it on. Many things in ‘ready-to-wear’ are embellished only in the front or more heavily in the front of the garment.

I have been so busy at school and at home that I haven’t blogged or been active on any blogs or forums. I miss it! I have been sewing, though. In fact, I have made several O+S outfits including Lazy Days Skirts, Butterfly Skirt, Class Picnic Blouses, and a Croquet Dress. Several of the outfits were in the black and white monochrome theme. I am anxious to blog about them and post them to the Flicker group.

Currently, I have a Black & White Butterfly Skirt that needs a blouse, a white Ice Cream Blouse half finished, and black fabric washed and ready to make a Firefly Jacket. I want to join the Swingset Skirt sew-along but I am not sure what fabric to use, yet. (I would like to sew from my considerable stash, if possible.)

There is a new sewing magazine coming! It is called Classic Sewing and will be published by Hoffman Media. http://www.victoriamag.com/introducing-classic-sewing-magazine/
    I am anxious to see it. I have missed the Australian Smocking magazines, Creative Needle, and Sew Beautiful. I have subscribed.

Happy sewing!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Karen will you put them in with the others for the monochrome project. Just add #oliverandsmonochrome to them in flickr so we can find them because we would love to see them and it looks like several ladies have made something and missed the deadline. It’s no biggie!

In terms of the sewalong, audition some fabrics is the way I find best when I can’t really decide.

And I too am looking forward to the new sewing magazine. It promises to be something that will lift the spirits of those of us who miss our beloved smocking and heirloom sewing features (having been a subscriber too to AS&E). It should be a nice change to have some of our Pretty sewing ideas back!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Thank you ladies for your opinions on trim on ‘front’ only; more opinions still welcome. Some of my ‘mums’ have had probs in the past knowing the front from the back of some O+S tops unless the outfit has pockets. Well I’ll give it a whirl with the front only, and see what happens. Currently making a Hopscotch skirt of light weight aqua cord with some of Riley Blake’s Geeky range for the pockets, and waistband. This is the first time I’ve made the ‘take-away’ pockets, and they have been a fiddle but do look rather nice. Instead of sewing the facing horizontally on the pocket, I’ve topstitched the folds because I have a nasty feeling that time strapped mums would find ironing them properly a hassle. Will check out the new magazine, Karen. Thank you for heads up; sounds British.
    Yes, T is lovely to have all these outfits ready to go; the problem is who gets what first!! So many growing kids!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I say go with what feels right. Maybe do a circulation or one pattern at a time? I like the circulation bit better myself that way you don’t run the risk of being bored with the same old twenty times over. You could do them assembly style if you did chose to do say class picnic tops all in one go though.

The hopscotch skirt is one I really haven’t made alot of. One for Chloë in winter out of pink pinwale corduroy and that was it I think. There were attempts with Imogen and I think she got one also but it wasn’t a favourite. It is so darn cute in a smaller size! I am planning a couple for the warm weather. In fact I have some of the city print I used for Imogen’s city stroll skirt that would be ideal. I’m not sure if there is enough so will have to check.

As for trims, lots of rtw have front only and you could do a little pocket on the class picnic too if you wanted. It would look cute with one.

What I would recommend and if your machine does letters, is to get some grograin and “write” a label. There are places (in Australia) that will do them for you at not a lot of cost (considering the number of items you churn out). That way if you didn’t want to trim an item you could use a label instead (either on the inside to indicate the back or on the front of the front)

I made a little two piece item for a friend whose eldest son is the same age as Imogen. It was for his first birthday and I made a shirt and bloomer set. One would think she would have known that the buttons went to the front. But no she had professional photos taken of the baby with his shirt on 😱Back to front! Some people just simply have no idea if you don’t point it out for them – true?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m finally finishing the Art Museum Vest, just need some buttons. It is lovely, pinstripe wool with a red slik lining.
    I’m off to pick up my new Jalie Bella dress pattern and some wash away interfacing/stay tape to help hem my Appleton Dress.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh that Bella pattern looks interesting Heidi. Do let us know how it goes.

I have a multitude of things on the go at the moment but haven’t really had the opportunity to sit and sew all week. I did this morning when Chloë finally slept for more than fifteen minutes and I took advantage of the time by getting started on a garden party dress I had cut out for a little while.

Reading through the instructions, I was a little confused as to why we couldn’t enclose the seam at the back with the waistband. So I took it upon myself to do just that and I must say I love an enclosed seam! It’s looking very pretty indeed.

Other things I am constructing along with the garden party are a puppet show tunic, the bodysuits I mentioned previously and the monochrome puppet show shorts that I didn’t get made for the project.

I am hoping I get to sew a bit more today while blossom is happy playing and during her afternoon nap.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The Garden party dress is complete! What a satisfying sew😀.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hugo’s 18th outfit is done, happy dance, on with my jeans.
    I am making the Ginger jeans in a white stretchy denim. I am concerned I am old enough for white skinny jeans but the Twins have designed my outfit on Polyvore http://www.polyvore.com/hugos_18th/set?id=178294686 and assure me it is perfect.
    I predict I will be so busy on the night I won’t care what I look like.

I have had a request for two white linen shirts for the Recovery, the day after, by the Twins.
    We shall have to wait and see….. 🙂

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@with-love-heidi, please promise you will post pics of Appleton once it is done? I am very intrigued by the pattern.

I have been doing a little selfish sewing lately. Made a very successful Josephine (Made By Rae) and started on a second. The second is not going well, however, and it is currently in time-out for about the fourth time. In the meantime I sewed a pieced striped duvet cover for oldest boy, who will need to vacate his crib soon for the baby. I want to make some matching pillowcases too but am out of the cream fabric I used for the main portion.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,581 through 5,595 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.