Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,981 through 4,995 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I’m thinking I’m going to give @motherof5 ‘s rota system a try this year – I picked up quite a few Thread Theory patterns during their New Years sale (the wardrobe builder set – Strathcona henley, Jedediah pants, and Newcastle cardigan – and the Camas blouse for me), so together with Liesl’s new patterns, there’s quite a lot of sewing I can now do for Ben and myself ;-).

Started off the year whipping up a quick Class Picnic top for Ellie out of some leftover plaid brushed cotton in my scrap stash. A fun sew, tho the brushed cotton is quite thick (thicker than printed flannel), so if I could do it over again I’d make the bias casings out of quilting cotton to make them easier to work with.

Now I’m working on something fun for Olivia and will also be joining in the Culottes Sew-Along to make the Lunch Box culottes for Ellie. I figured the class picnic top and culottes will count as one outfit so Ellie isn’t getting two turns in a row ;-).

Next up will be the office curtains I promised Ben ages ago (not clothing, but I think still fulfills the rota criteria), and then perhaps a Camas blouse for myself out of some leftover knit in my stash. On the horizon: some batik patchwork pillowcases as requested by my sister, a Liberty Weekend Getaway blouse for myself and a linen Bistro dress for Easter, coordinating Library dresses for the girls for Easter, and a “wearable muslin” Thread Theory Goldstream coat for Ben – I ordered some canvas, corduroy, and lovely RK shetland flannel to make him a test version before I sew his dressy coat with the wool coating I got him for Christmas. And of course as much other O+S sewing as I can cram in there around the edges of all the rest!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@vothgirl, Hugo has printed me up a ‘rota’ that everyone fills in. The Twins change their minds a lot before I get to them but that is have the fun. Once it is cut, that is it.

I finally finished my cousins dress. It is beautiful and if I have fitted the muslin correctly, should fit like a glove.
    It was a lot of work though. Lots of pieces, underlining, grading seams, slippery and fraying fabrics. The instructions were pretty basic too.

@Meleliza
    , I used a lot of your techniques.

I ‘should’ be sewing Field Trip trousers today but I think I may sew a Tea Party for Beatrix. I need something small to play with.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole. Reason: grrr spell check
    LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Nicole, I like that “you can change your mind until it’s cut.” Lots of oppituinty for discussion and working out what you want πŸ™‚
    It looks like another day of summer storms. We’ve had about 1 a fortnight here for the last 6 weeks. I don’t rember so many summer storms other years.
    I want to sew a small messenger bag, finish my bathers, sew a scarf neck cardi and maybe a large messenger bag. I’d better get sewing before the storms come back. I can always do the dishes during the storms but don’t want my computerised sewing machine plugged in!

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

The second Ottobre blouse is now underway, with the placket all done. It’s a busy week at work, so I’m taking it in small chunks. Sleeves and side seams tomorrow.

Nicole, I have some field trip trousers on my to-do list as well, for my dd who loves her field trip shorts and for my nephew who is two and is refusing to wear anything else. But I’m thinking my next project will be small. I need to use up some scraps. Also, it is really, really cold.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@with love Heidi, flexibility but responsibility. Roots and wings, as Jed and I like to say. πŸ™‚

@EllenMCM
    , it has been so very hot here it seems a bit bonkers to be sewing trousers.

I made a tiny Tea Party for Beatrix today, purely as sewing therapy after the dress for my cousin. It was palate cleanser indeed.

Next up, some nighties for Trixie from the Hopscotch dress pattern and a new sun bonnet from Purl Soho.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

@motherof5 Nicole, when you have a chance would you consider popping a photo of your rota worksheet on flickr? I am so intrigued by this, and once I catch up on the baby’s wardrobe I really need to start something like this- especially with Spring on the close horizon (for our area).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Will do @Brittney, it is nothing fancy but it does the job. I made a Hopscotch nightie and I am super pleased with it.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Popped baby girl down for a sleep and managed to cut out a small supply of nursing pads. I managed to finish two pairs before she woke up! So nice against the skin and I can now get rid of the rediculous bought ones!

Phew! Home less than a week and back sewing! What an accomplishment.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

The sewing fairy whispered in my ear that people who’ve given birth are allowed to take more than a week off πŸ™‚ The sewing machine won’t grow legs and walk off.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

We all choose to do things in our own individual way Sarvi! They are necessary items that take five minutes to make so its not as if I am breaking any unwritten rule or anything. I’d rather be comfortable and not have unsightly wet patches on my clothes!

Besides, my baby is two weeks old and the last time I sewed was Boxing Day. And I consider this a part of my healing process.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think Sarvi was being kind.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made Beatrix a sweet little baby bonnet from a free pattern from Purl Soho. One hour sewing and it is divine.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, will you post a link?

justsewit, sorry if that came off sounding like a command. By all means do whatever works for you.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

@motherof5 is this the one? http://www.purlbee.com/2014/04/08/corinnes-thread-baby-sunbonnet/

Because I went on the Purl Soho website and looked at all their lovely patterns and now I want to make a bonnet for Olivia! Perhaps out of leftover fabric to match the Easter dress I’ll be sewing her…

If I was a more experienced (and faster) knitter, I’d knit one of these lovelies: http://www.purlbee.com/2012/03/25/whits-knits-baby-bonnet/ . Maybe by the time I have another baby…

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by vothgirl.
    LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I’m frustrated waiting til our stuff arrives, and I buy a new sewing machine. I have two lovely lengths of wool to make a pencil skirt and a pair of wide leg, high waist trousers. Meanwhile, I’m working on a cardigan I’ve been knitting since before Audrey was born. I’ve just got to finish the tops of both sleeves and sew it together.
    I’m all inspired to get back into wearing vintage style a lot of the time..

Viewing 15 posts - 4,981 through 4,995 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.