Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 4,921 through 4,935 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

We’re twins, Robin — I’m making a Fairy Tale too, and also deviating from the instructions in the interest of simplifying it since I’m short of time.

Here’s how I’m doing the invisible zip, though:
    http://spiegelstiksels.blogspot.com/2011/02/een-blinde-rits-en-voering-zonder-1_09.html

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

Sarvi the zipper insertion looks interesting, only wish I could read german. Is it stitch onto the main fabric, then the lining placed over the top and stitch again? Might have to try this.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

That’s exactly how I did the zipper. Works great doesn’t it? And I used that fabric for a roller skate dress. And mim22, that’s how we did it. Don’t sew up the side seams until after the zipper is in. Wish I had figured that part out first. : )

Sarvi, I rushed and made a mess of it. None of the seams line up! I know better.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

We’re having summer storms here today! I think I will cut out some more tshirts rather than risk plugging the machines in to sew them up!
    It’s just started hailing!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

That’s not German. Dutch? or something similar. But I often stitch the lining right into the zipper with the machine too. Why not? It’s the benefit of an invisible zip.

I’m trying to sew up a Bistro dress before Sunday. Placing the lace overlay is going a little slower than I thought. And a matching little girl dress. Oh, and I’m hosting a dinner party on Saturday and the house is an enormous mess because the contractor abandoned us halfway through and we only found a new guy to do half of the work. Only 9 more days…..

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I use Chrome, which autotranslates the Dutch (which comes out very funny after the machine translation). Lots of suffocating and choking. Her basic concept that you fully assemble the dress, leaving the center back seam completely unsewn. You mark the seam line at the neck edge of the dress, then mark the zip tape at the top of the upper stop, with the zipper zipped up. You line up those two marks and attach the zipper to the right side of the outer fabric using an invisible zip foot, which has a little channel for the teeth of the zip to ride in, on the underside of the foot. The first pass, you should stitch as close to the teeth as you can.Then you fold the lining over the outer+zip and stitch it again, moving the needle over 2 ticks, which holds the lining back so it doesn’t get caught in the teeth. After that you can stitch up the rest of the back seam, both outer and lining fabrics, as you please. I have a pretty distinct horizontal line on the print I’m using that I need to be careful to match up, so I might do a bit of basting just in case.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Can’t wait to see a @Sarvi take on the Fairy Tale pattern.
    I wish I had time to make a pretty Christmas dress. Instead, I’m burning the midnight oil making a Thread Theory Newcastle cardigan. This one is for a friend of my parents who had modelled the one i made for my dad, and was quite a hit when he appeared on my blog! Yes, Roger will be making a return!!
    I’m using a woven stretch lining for the first time, adding pocket and bias binding the facing. It’s going to be awesome if I may say so myself! 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

All right, the famous Roger is back! Looking forward to it!

I’m afraid the Fairy Tale I’m making is pretty straightforward. I actually just posted a work in progress photo, hoping for ideas for some embellishments to make a bit more ‘fancy’ … I auditioned a few different things but none seemed quite right.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Summer cleaning and Christmas parties have whacked my sewing time with a big stick.
    I hope to start my cousins Christmas dress today. I have made three muslins to get the bodice right and I am so pleased with the fit (so far).

Looking forward to Roger!

LINK

I finally found the time to talk to my niece (8) to get some clarification on what she was envisioning by “Hermione’s ball dress”. Thankfully much easier than I would have made it 🙂 Square neck bodice with long flutter sleeves. Bodice to end at belly button level. And a tiered floaty skirt. All one colour in a light blue silky flowy fabric. I’m think I’ll use the Garden Party as my base for the bodice with either a zip or more likely a shirred panel in the back for ease of fitting and dressing 🙂
    But first the nice easy tshirts I cut out during the stor.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It all sounds exquisite Heidi!

No sewing for me at the moment. Just lots of doctor’s appointments. I am hoping to get to do something tomorrow but will have to be either non machine useage or slippery using the machine. We are forecast for storms and the last thing you want to do during a storm is use your sewing machine!

LINK

And I found a nice blue circular table cloth at the op shop to use as a base for the skirt!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I finally got to sew on the buttons of those little bubble dresses. The sewing room was like an oven yesterday so didn’t do alot of actual sewing. My sister is making curtains for me – once I give her the window measurements.

Today though, I really plan to get in and sew the puppet show outfit. It seems to be cooler today but the aircon will still be going flat out.

LINK

I’m down to two major Christmas gifts to go! Elsa’s corronation Cape and Hermione’s Ball Dress. I finished up the 3 tshirts I cut earlier in the week and a pair of Ottobre shorts, it’s disappointing when they grow out of Oliver and S 🙁
    Off to start the cape 🙂

LINK

I’ve made a great start on Elsa’s corronation Cape! https://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/16036596216/
    Stopping for the night before I make any mistakes 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 4,921 through 4,935 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.