Oliver + S

Hey, what's wrong here?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I noticed today I see more up to date posts when I am logged in.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

We’re starting a new round of work to do performance testing and tweaking of the site to address some of these issues with load time. I’m hoping you’ll all see performance improvements over coming weeks as we make some changes behind the scenes.

Yes, @motherof5, the way the forums work is that if you are not logged in you get a cached version of the site that can be up to 15 minutes (I think) old. You should notice that it’s substantially faster for you when it’s serving a cached version rather than a real-time version. We don’t want to serve the cached version to anyone who is logged in because then you won’t see your own comments once you make them!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Todd.

LINK
    admin
    Keymaster
    @admin

I have been tweaking some things with our caching setup behind the scenes here over the past week in an effort to make the site faster. One change we made did not end up making the site faster and in fact seemed to slow it down. So, as of an hour ago, we have reverted that change.

One other change that was made has to do with the main forums page. Previously, this index page listed the recently active topics and all the forums. There are 67 different forums now, so that ends up being a lot of work for the database. We split the recent topics apart from a new all forums page to split these queries up. Most returning visitors use the recent topics list, so this seemed to make sense. You can still get at all the forums from the toggle links at the top or the dropdowns.

I’m still hard at work on other issues on the site, including performance. There are 18 open tickets for bugs and enhancements in my queue, so your issues mentioned in this thread are not being ignored.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

When I click to view ‘all forums’ I can only see to the Forest Path, but when I use the drop down menu I can see them all. I wasn’t sure if anyone else noticed this.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Same here on the only seeing through Forest Path when clicking ‘all forums’. Using Chrome and Windows.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Well, that was a bit weird.
    I just received six random notification emails, some were messages and some were thread comments, all from months back.
    Spooky….

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

@motherof5 same thing happened to me! And when I try to mark them ‘read’ or delete, it won’t let me. Strange…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I felt loved! 😉

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Sorry, that would have been me. I ran some maintenance on the database, and it seems to have kicked out a bunch of notifications. I’m not sure why. Not sure why some can’t be marked read or deleted. Could be a caching issue and they will be taken care of in a little while.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Is anyone else having trouble commenting on the blog? It may be our horrendous internet connection.

LINK
    admin
    Keymaster
    @admin

I am bringing this thread back from the semi-dead.

@Sarvi
    : In this comment do you know what device and/or browser you see that issue with? I’ve been trying to figure out under what conditions that happens.

screenshot

LINK
    admin
    Keymaster
    @admin

As @justmejay and others have mentioned, I agree that the @mention thing is kind of weird and doesn’t work how you might expect. Sadly, I don’t think I can fix this easily since it’s a deeper level issue in our forums software. However, I have made a tweak that makes the autocomplete of @mentions work in the reply box, which should help to some extent.

I’m also looking at making the username display more prominently (at all) in threads so it’s more visible to refer to when typing a reply. I haven’t don this latter part yet, though.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi @admin — I’m terribly sorry but I’m afraid I’m not able to recall what I was using at the time. I feel it *should* be in Chrome on my MacBook but I’m not seeing it any longer. I can give you version numbers and a screencap of what I see now, if you like.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I love, love that the @ feature now autocompletes!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.