Oliver + S

Sewing for Yourself

buying fabric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

I will be traveling to USA in a couple of weeks, and I would love to buy some Lisette fabric plus some good cotton knits. It’s a business travel and it will be hard to find much time for browsing, so I would really appreciate some help. I will stay one day in Rochester, Mn, one day in Chicago, one day in Boston and two or three days in NY.
    Any advise on where to go to look for it…?
    Thanks in advance!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Is there a particular Lisette fabric you’re looking for? I’m not sure if you’re looking for the ones sold originally at JoAnn Fabric, which I think are out of stock, or the most recent collection, Woodland Clearing, which is not part of the Lisette line (but in my opinion has a nicer feel to it, I have tried both).

If it were me, I would do my shopping in NY, which has things very conveniently located, and where you are spending the most time. Since you’ll be there for a few days, if you know which of Liesl’s fabrics you want, you could possibly have them mailed to your hotel, and use your shopping time looking for knits.

Here are some great resources: https://oliverands.com/community/forums/topic/tips-for-fabric-shopping-in-new-york

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Thank you, Sarvi! That discussion forum is just what I needed.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Hello Maria:

I live relatively close to Rochester, MN and have heard nothing but good things about Ginny’s Fine Fabrics, located at 211 South Broadway Street. I personally haven’t visited as just having discovered the place existed. But it sounds like it could be a garment sewers dream of fine wools, silks, cottons and linens. I hear the prices reflect the higher quality fabrics, which is to be expected. I’ve also heard the customer service is second to none. Here is their minimal website: http://ginnysfinefabrics.com/
    I hope you enjoy your time in the States. 🙂

-Rebecca

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Rpankow.
    LINK
    talialmi @talialmi

Two very nice fabric shops with a lot of selection in the Boston area:
    Gather here in Cambridge
    JP Knit and Stitch in Boston

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

I will be close to Tender Buttons, I’ll pay a visit!

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Thank you, Rebecca and @talialmi!

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

@sarvi, @talialmi, @rpankow
    Thanks for all your help, ladies! I had a wonderful shopping Friday in NY, and I appreciated very much all your advices.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Great! It’s a fun place to shop, enjoy your goodies 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.