Oliver + S

Sew Alongs

Parachute Polo Sew Along

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Heidi, I feel better knowing I am not alone in the fold/unfold the placket issue!

Brittney, did you wash and steam the neck before adding the collar back on to see if it would rebound/fit? Or was this after?

I think I am going to cut a a larger sized collar in muslin and see if it fits. I just can’t figure out what I did wrong. But as I will be making another soon after, I will be extra careful re the collar attachments.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

@cybele727 I washed/steamed before re-attaching the collar.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

You guys should all be sewing this pattern. I am obsessed. I think my other boy needs one now too.

https://instagram.com/p/3u6fjvRs5I/

LINK
    JWo @JWo

I have posted a picture in the Flickr group. This was a fun little top to sew. I had matching knit and voile fabrics in the stash as well as matching thread and snaps so I was able to sew this up tonight (New Zealand time).
    I haven’t had a chance to wash the top yet as I wanted to post this before the deadline.

I plan to make a few more of these.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by JWo.
    LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

Random.org gave #2, so congratulations to @with-love-heidi ! I hope you got my private message. Thanks to everyone who participated!

LINK
    Malgosia @MySweetSabina

I finished sewing Parachute Polo last night and I love it! I will sure make more of these for my son. Main fabric is jersey knit and contrast fabric is Kona cotton in chartreuse color way.

Parachute Polo

Parachute Polo detail

My daughter is wearing Roller Skate dress

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Malgosia.
    LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Oh wow, so exciting!
    Yes, I have now replied to you. I had to go and find the private messages. Looking forward to sewing up my new patterns 🙂
    Thank you, Rachel, Liesl And Todd for running the competition and having great patterns.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Congrats Heidi!!

Ok. I am going to beg for more help here. I tried the wash and dry thing. No help. The collar is too short by approximately the extra added on by the placket. I checked and I cut the same size pattern pieces. (Lol).

If you go to Flickr I posted a picture of a drawing.

Any advice is welcome. I am likely going to cut a muslin collar is many sizes to see what fits for this one but I want to know if I am doing it right for the next one.

Thanks

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I commented on flickr too, but what size are you making? I made the 12, 18 and 4 (have a 7 cut) and depending on the stretch of my knit I had to ease the collar. On a few of them I clipped just a tiny bit (like 2-3 notches) of the collar on the front sides, the back was fine on all of them. The notches are especially helpful on this one.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I was making a 6. I checked to make sure that I cut a 6 collar and 6 parts. It is super weird. One thing I figured out is that I needed to reverse which side was folded back and which side was open. That at least made the seam to front necklines equal at 3.5 inches give or take some “ease.”

I cut a 12 muslin and that will fit for this one. Like I said, I just want to make sure I do it right next time. I want to enjoy this because it is so cute and worth it. Plus I did an amazing job on the placket, if I do say so myself!

I just wish I could figure out what *I* did wrong, so I don’t repeat it!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Cybele, do you have one side of the placket folded under? This was my mistake. I had both sides flipped out. If you can’t work it out this time then make the stretch of the fabric work for you and stretch the neckline slightly.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Heidi I think that would make the problem worse in this case, sounds like too little collar rather than too little neckline. I made the 5 in two very different fabrics (a stable interlock and a soft, floppy wool knit) and the firmer fabric was fine, the softer one had a ton of excess neckline. I put in a big box pleat at the back neck. It’s really weird but it works fine for trying it out something made out of one of my worn out sweaters. You may not have done anything wrong, it might just be the quirks of the combo of fabrics, how your hands were feeling that day, etc.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I definitely had one folded back and the other out. The fabric was a pique knit. I have too much neckline and not enough collar. And now that I’ve worked it over a bit, I am certain I exacerbated the problem, even though I tried to handle it delicately. 😉

I may try the box pleat. It is a girl’s shirt after all. Either that or the 12 collar.

I have the same materials but different color way for my son’s shirt. So I will be extra cautious when doing the collar area. I wonder if I should do two rows of stay stitching???

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You could try two rows. I have just attached the collar to mine (6-12 months) and it took a little bit of careful manipulation. Hand basting is very beneficial to tame it in. I’m using interlock and it can be temperamental.

And I too stuffed the first front with the placket! Did it the wrong way around!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.