Oliver + S

Which way is up on the waistband pieces?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Karin @Karin

The waistband pieces are curved, and the instructions warn to put them rightside up, but I see no markings to tell me which side is up. It doesn’t seem intuitive, since I’m not clear whether the band is intended to sit at or above the waist (I want it at the waist, ideally). The layout suggests one piece should curve up, the other curve down. Kind of stuck here, hoping for some help!

LINK
    Nirmala D @NirmalaD

Hi Karin,
    I am no expert but am working on a muslin of the Saint Germaine. If you look at the printed pattern pieces for the waistband, note which way the lettering and name of the pattern piece goes. This will indicate which side is UP for each piece. And, you are right, it is not intuitive – one does slightly curve up and the other slightly down. After seeing this note in the in striations, I went back, pulled out the pattern pieces and then marked a little arrow in the seam allowance for each so I would not forget. Good luck. It is a very pretty dress!

LINK
    Karin @Karin

Oh, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that! Thank you so much.
    I should probably be working on a muslin instead of with the good fabric instead, but you’ve given me a better chance of getting it right first time 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sorry about that–the waist is the narrowest part. It gets wider for the hips…

LINK
    Karin @Karin

Thank Liesl; sorry to be slow to respond. That helps to figure out how much I should lengthen the bodice. It’s a slight problem that the pattern measurements don’t specify what the finished waist length is in each size. I lengthen as a matter of course anyway, but it’s sometimes hard to know how much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.