Oliver + S

What have you learned this year?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

Perhaps Santa will bring us each a new overlocker!!! A girl can dream, right?

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I started this year off as a novice, and I’m ending it as a confident amateur. My previous sewing experience was small, but my mother and nana always involved me in their projects, allowing me to steer the fabric in a straight line. They were always enthusiastic for my projects, but always available for the frequent rescues that I needed.

This year has been both exhilarating and exhausting. When I look at the dresses I attempted before finding the Oliver and S patterns, I want to burn them in a pit so no one can see how inept I was at the beginning of this summer. (The direction of the grain really matters.) I have spent long nights both enthralled and exhausted watching a creation come together. The sewing community on this forum and the wider internet has furthered my knowledge, as I searched for terms unknown- French seams, Hong Kong Seams, Felled Seam, Serged Seams, blind hemming and slip stitch, and various uses of interfacing. I’ve returned time and again to my directions in my patterns to eek out more and better understanding of the techniques and fundamentals. I’ve read blog after blog about sewing techniques, soaking in each knowledge nugget like a dry creek bed after the rain.

There have been some life lessons in these sewing patterns. I can start something unsure of myself, and finish it. I am more certain of my style, my tastes, my abilities. I am no longer afraid of colors or patterns. It’s okay to put a project down, and sleep on it, or ask advice. It’s okay to try again, or rip the seam out. My kids and husband are proud of me. My child does not have to look like the 3 other girls dressed in the same exact outfit from the store to be cute or precious. She does not have to match every day. It’s okay to use an iron (I was previously “allergic”), and it’s probably going to look better if you do use one.

This is an amazing group of women, and I’m thankful for all the support, praise, and laughter.

LINK
    Lindsay @Lindsay

I wish I could remember the pattern that my favorite tip of 2010 came from, but I am not certain which one it was.

I loved the helpful suggestion of using a square of tissue paper under the edge of very small fabric pieces. The feed dogs can grab the paper to begin advancing the fabric when there is not enough stitching yet to guide it. This is helpful for fabric button loops, finishing fabric ties, etc. When I’m done, I just carefully tear away the paper at the perforations. So easy.

Its just the kind of finishing detail that sets O+S instructions apart!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I cannot recollect where exactly I saw similar fabric but for sure among these 2 target and sophiasstyle.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.