Oliver + S

welt pockets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    rebekahricker @rebekahricker

I’m considering changing the patch pockets to welt pockets. I’ve never sewn a coat before, so I’m wondering if there’s a reason this wouldn’t work. If anyone’s done it, I’d appreciate some pointers.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I think again that this could work however, if you haven’t made a coat before, why not try the pattern out as is and then like the piping for the school photo dress do a sample welt pocket so you gain some confidence and go from there.

You could use the top line of the current pocket placement as your guide so there is no reason why it shouldn’t work.

I love this pattern – such a fabulous lined jacket.

LINK
    rebekahricker @rebekahricker

I’ve made welt pockets before, just never on a coat. I’m using a thick wool coating and interlining with Thinsulate, and I was really more concerned about the thickness of the welts and how to assemble them with the insulation. I’m not sure if I should interline the fashion fabric since that plus the welts would get pretty thick. The 3M website says attach the Thinsulate to the lining fabric, but that would mean the pockets won’t have insulation unless I also line the bags.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh well there I would be useless in giving information as I have never worked with thinsulate. Are you making the vest to go inside the jacket at all? Maybe you could use the thinsulate on that instead and then you wouldn’t have so much of an issue just the thickness to sort out which I would still do a sample to see how the thickness would go – just me though!

Hopefully someone else could jump in and give you a few clues to get you on the right track.

Tamara

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have made this as a raincoat, without the insulation, and left off the pockets. I have also made a lined wool coat with welt pockets from a different pattern, so combining what I recall from those two experiences, I’m going to say that you should be fine making it with the Thinsulate attached to the lining, and putting in the welt pocket when you construct the outer front panel. How important is it to have the extra warmth in the pocket area? The body of the coat would keep the child’s body warm, and that would communicate heat to one half of the pocket (let’s call it the palm side). So with hands in pockets, the only part that had wool but no Thinsulate would be the backs of the hands. You could add Thinsulate to that half of the pocket bag without too much trouble, I think (I recall it being quite thin indeed when I saw it in the store) but it might not be necessary.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.