Oliver + S

Using a zipper for the back instead of buttons?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    misformilk @misformilk

I’m toying with the idea of using a zipper for the back of the Music box instead of buttons. I’ve sewn zippers into pillows and pouches, but never dresses. Is this a good idea?

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I don’t think it would be too hard. Omitting the button back has been successfully attempted in other patterns with button closures (2+2 blouse springs to mind)…..and I don’t think it would be hard to insert an invisible zipper. But I hope someone comes in with more help in that department. I’ve done them before in skirts, but I lack the ability to be able to explain what would need to be done to this pattern to achieve that!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes it would work provided you take some of the button band allowance away. You would need just the seam allowance for the zip to be sewn in. The invisible zipper needs to be long enough to get in and out of the dress so taking it past the seam connecting the bodice to the skirt is essential. You don’t however, have to take the zipper all the way to the hem – this would look unsightly I think.

Inserting the invisible zipper is the same process no matter what you are inserting it into so if you are familiar with the technique just follow the said protocol and you should be fine. The hem on the different views from memory are slightly differing to each other so be careful there. Remember you don’t need the button band so this will have to be taken out when altering the pattern and leaving only the half inch seam allowance that is required for it to sit well at the back.

If you are concerned with how to do the lining of the bodice, just handstitch after inserting the zip keeping clear enough for the zip to be able to open and close successfully of course.

I did a variation of the bubble/ music box dresses using an invisible zip and it turned out really well so I shouldn’t think you’d come across huge dramas with this idea. In fact, I’d love to see it as extra proof that it does work!

LINK
    misformilk @misformilk

Great – thanks!!! I think I just need to take a deep breath and try!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.