Oliver + S

Totoro Dress

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

My daughter is obsessed with Totoro and wants a Totoro dress for her 8th birthday party (Totoro-themed, of course). Together, we decided to do a Hide and Seek dress in grey with a white panel. On the panel, I want to do the little chevrons that Totoro has on his chest but I’m no sure how best to do them.

At first I was thinking applique but they are so small and it’s not a technique I’m great at and I’m afraid it won’t come out looking as nice as I’d like it to. She suggested embroidery which is something I have never done before. I have some nice wool felt in the rightish color that I could attach with iron-on adhesive? I wonder if that would make it non-machine washable, though. What would you all suggest?

Thanks! I can’t wait to see how this dress comes out, I just wish she had requested it a little earlier!

Laura

(PS If you’re not sure what Totoro looks like, here’s a link: http://studio-ghibli.wikia.com/wiki/Totoro)

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

What is the fabric going to be? If it’s a cotton then I would suggest a freezer paper stencil and some fabric paint.
    There are lots of online tutorials for freezer paper stencilling, or, if you have the Sandbox pattern it’s there too.
    Have fun (we love Studio Ghibli films too)

LINK

Yes, it is cotton. Perhaps a little more substantial than typical quilter’s cotton. Thank you for the suggestion – I will look into it!

LINK

Just to follow up, I found this tutorial that makes this look doable.

Freezer Paper Stenciling

Thanks again for the suggestion, Lightning!

LINK

Thank you @lightningmcstitch!! The freezer paper stenciling came out great. I found a fabric spray paint which made it very easy to use. She loves her Totoro dress!

Totoro Hide and Seek Dress

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

That’s fantastic! Perfectly Totoro for those of us in the know, but not at all costume-y.
    Now you can stencil paint ALL THE THINGS! 😂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Very cute!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Just chiming in to say that fabric stencilling is addictive! 😀 I taught myself how so I could do some costumes and for a while I imagined everything stenciled.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.