Oliver + S

The zen of oliver + s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hi Liesl- since you said you are working on taxes today…blah….I will send this now. I have been trying to figure out the feeling I get while sewing your patterns, it is pure peace. I sew a lot, almost one kids garment a day, with tracing on the weekends and cutting at night…I sew while the kids are playing around me on and off all day. I mostly use ottobre for the boys everyday clothes and oliver and s for jammies, special occasions, etc (make me more boys patterns!!!). I have recently been sewing their easter outfits using some elements of your sailboat pattern and have so enjoyed the restfulness your patterns and instructions bring to my sewing room. I think it is because I can always count on you to tell me every detail….and why…each step of the way… and the patterns are always well marked, eliminating guesswork, allowing me to just sew! I love my ottobre patterns and have become quite proficient at following them,, but it does require A LOT more brain work on my part, to figure out the sequencing and in between steps that are not explicit! Thanks for the zen in my crazy mommy life! Here’s to you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thank you so much! I’m very pleased and flattered that you feel this way, and it’s kind of you so say so.

And I promise we’ll continue to work on boys’ patterns as well. We’re hard at work on one for fall right now, and I always welcome your ideas. Not having any boys myself, it helps to hear from people who do! I get inspiration from S’s friends, but it’s not quite the same as having boys of your own, I’m sure.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

You’ll probably regret asking, because I have been fairly obsessed with boys clothing for the last 7 years since my first son was born, when two more bouncing boys followed it only got worse. My “beefs” are that cute boys clothes are hard to find…. You can walk into target, gap, other mall stores and you are sure to find something cute for a girl, even if it is not “to die for” like your patterns are. Not so with boys, it is the same few options year after year and the color palette is boring and the clothes are baggy. The thing I find the most confusing is that the boys outfits are never the same level of “dressy” as the girls…side by side in a store window, you’ll see a polo for a boy and a satin or silk very dressy dress for a girl, same thing happens at christmas, where sweater vests are placed alongside velvet.

This is what we need:

Long dress pants with a zip fly or at least that option…. boys cannot get away with elastic waists forever, though a back elastic waist would be nice (we need belt loops), perhaps paired with a vest or dress jacket- they could be made with velveteen or wool (for trips to the nutcracker ballet) or linen for summer weddings.

Overalls- with a long/short option or a tab at the outer leg so the pants can be rolled up while wading, etc. There are some cute vintage boys patterns of overalls that I like if you want pics. I’m thinking in linen, chambray, etc since denim ones are fairly easy to find.

Play Ball- A classic rugby style shirt and play/sport pants with reinforced knees, elastic waist is fine! Firm, heavy weight interlocks and jerseys could be used and would be a great way to break the ice in sewing with knits as they sew up almost exactly like wovens minus all the seam finishing!

These would go a long way in getting my boys fully covered by oliver + s over the next few years. Of course I know you’ll come up with amazing things with or without me! Thanks for listening.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I would really like a blazer or sport jacket for boys. And, an adjustable inner-waistband (buttonhole elastic?) would be a nice alternative to the elastic waistband option, too. Then again, that might not be necessary when we’re actually sewing for fit versus buying off the rack and “making them fit” with the cookie-cutter sizing.

I liked your details so much, I thought I’d chime in. 😉

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

“Overalls with a tab at the outer leg so the pants can be rolled up while wading” – how cute does that sound?? I live a very urban inner city life but I’m telling you I’d FIND places to wade if my boys (and girl) were wearing these 🙂

LINK
    shasta @shasta

Violetvata has perfectly expressed my boy clothes wish list! I would love to make a rugby shirt (like the ones in mini Boden) and overalls (some of the big pattern companies have patterns for these but they are lacking that something special I know Oliver + S would do).

Liesl, I know you said that the boy patterns don’t sell well so thank you for continuing to make them. I wish us moms of boys could turn them into bestsellers for you!

And as far as the zen aspect of Oliver + S, I couldn’t agree more! My husband asked me this weekend why I like to sew when it seems to upset me so much (I was nearly pulling my hair out over poorly written instructions). I never get upset when sewing with Oliver + S patterns — it is just pure joy! Thanks Liesl!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thanks for the suggestions and for the kind words. We’re taking your suggestions to heart and will do what we can! I’m always thrilled to hear how much you like the patterns.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.