Oliver + S

stabilizing seams on knit top

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m making the knit top today. I read through the instructions last night and I’m wondering what stabilizing tape is. Is this the same as clear elastic? I have bunches of that so I’ll use that if I can. Otherwise I’ll use the fusible. I don’t understand how the fusible can allow any stretch to remain, though. Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated! 🙂

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Don’t know about the stabilizing tape, but I did pick up some fusible interfacing for knit. It streeeetches! I’ve used it on both my dresses and, trust me, it’s not going to take anything away from the give in the material. Hope that’s helpful.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, the fusible interfacing should stretch. And stabilizing tape is, indeed, clear elastic. I find that it’s a bit tricky to get the tape to stay in place as you’re sewing, but it does work nicely if you’re willing to fiddle a bit. (Personally, I still prefer the fusible…)

LINK
    Anonymous @

Do I need to get some fusible that is made specifically for knits or just regular non-woven? Sorry – I’m just a bit lost here 😉

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’ll try the clear elastic and if it’s too troublesome I’ll go with the fusible. Maybe I’ll just cut a little swatch and try it out.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Yes, ask for interfacing specifically for knits. It is very lightweight and stretchy, much different than regular.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

you might see the on the label “fusible tricot”; tricot is knit. also, when you cut the piece of interfacing, gently pull on the interfacing to learn which direction it stretches the most and plan how you cut your piece accordlingly (whether you want the most stretch going down or across–depends on where you are putting the interfacing in the garment).

LINK
    Anonymous @

ok – thanks! I have some that might be the right thing. I’ll have to check. Didn’t get to the top today anyway. Hopefully can get to it on Saturday 🙂

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m pretty sure I ordered some of this a while back when we found out Liesl was doing some knit patterns and then forgot all about it.

https://www.fashionsewingsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=41&osCsid=27057e3ee612d3d2e565f0b5a9422ce2

I’ll have to dig out my interfacing box and have a look.

Thank you all for the info.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Yippie – I had ordered the tricot interfacing and it worked wonderfully. I finished the top today and I love it. I’ll definitely be making some dresses and probably some pj’s as well.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I just found the clear tape and have been using it everywhere the pattern recommends, but then I also added some to join the sleeves to the bodice, and I really liked the way it turned out- everything is much crisper. (I’m using cheap single knit jersey which is perfect for our climate but a pain to sew.) If I can pry the dresses from my daughter’s hands, I’ll try to post pictures of flickr.

LINK
    paula @paula

Here is where I got my fusible knit stay tape:

http://shop.emmaseabrooke.com/category.sc;?categoryId=3

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.