Oliver + S

Spammer?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I have received an unusual email from “Kate Smith” who claims to have read my profile (I don’t have one); and wants to ‘contact’ for friendship. Is this person the spammer? Can anyone on forum help? I don’t want to be rude if the email is legitimate.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

There’s a message from oliver + s which probably appears above your post which talks about a spam message. I think it’s that one. For a moment I thought I had a friend 😉

LINK
    R. Langsto @rlangsto

Ditto for me, needlewoman. I also received email from someone who wanted to contact me for friendship.This person also claimed to have read my profile. Like you, I do not have a profile. I’m sure it’s the spam message Oliver + S referred to in the email.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Yeah, me too, dubhels. Aren’t some people ‘ordinary’? Luckily, we have each other on this forum to suss the fakers out. I did see Todd’s post about the scammer but my email was dated later, and I just wanted to be sure. Sorry that you ladies were ‘puzzled’ too. C’est la vie. On a happier note, I hope you all had a nice Mothers’ Day, last weekend. I enjoyed the blissful peace and quiet in the neighbourhood; going to a cafe mid-afternoon was completely different. Place was packed to the gunnels, and I heard similar stories during the week. As we are mid-Autumn, a cloudy, cool day clearly beckoned people to eat ‘in’ but out.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@needlewoman so glad you made it back on Fi! Yes I was one of those “lucky” people who got the message also. To me it was such an obvious “this is a hoax” type email. They are not very imaginative when it comes to things like this that is for sure.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Yes, that was the message that was sent to several members here on the forums. Sorry, again, for the inconvenience.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I received the very same message as well. I was wondering if it was spam.

LINK
    Renee @Renee

Good to know. I was puzzled by the language.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@renee very often it is a case of the spammer not speaking English as their first language so this is why the language would be unusual. It is similar to things such as stories you would hear in current affairs regarding lonely people having money stolen from these people because they think they enter into a relationship with them. They pray on the lonely and vulnerable.

A simple way to figure out if an email is a scam, is to move your cursor over the address of the sender. You will know that the address is not a legitimate one because it will look unusual and in many cases unofficial, especially if it is one that is trying to represent an organisation such as a bank.

It is important to know the little tricks in order to protect yourself. They think they are so smart but we have to be much smarter. And quite frankly their tactics are quite a bit dated!

We had a case locally, where a woman in her 60’s went all the way to a country in Africa, thinking she was going to marry this man she had been corresponding with for three years. She had her life savings stolen and most importantly, her life was taken also. It turned out to be a ring of people not just one.

This is why it is so great that a little community like ours can reach out with a simple message up the top of a page to let everyone concerned know that it was a spammer. Because it can be halted in its tracks and we can all get on with chatting without interruption from these people who just want to potentially ruin people’s lives.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Agreed, @justsewit! I love this little community of ours. Cheers, everyone! xo

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

and then there’s the facebook folks who try to “friend” me by sending a request and a message going on and on about how beautiful I am and a soul mate and they want to marry me! I admit to being a bit flattered even as I block them from my page.I noticed that the spammer here has the last name of Smith, let me reassure everyone, it’s not me!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Never thought it was, dear lady. These ‘things’ are sent to try us; the price of being able to communicate ‘on line’. Dear T, thank you for the tips about ‘spotting’ a spammer/intruder ahead of time. This ‘innocent abroad’ can use all the education she can get; especially, as the more vicious types ie. the ones that want to ransom your files for money are out there, and becoming more cheeky. And people do pay horrendous sums of $$. I think the maxim is: if an email looks dodgy, it probably is, and DON’T OPEN IT.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.