Oliver + S

Skirt packed – Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • LINK

Hi,
    I love this book, but there are a two basic things I don´t understand and it id driving me crazy.

Question 1: On page 47, section 33 it says “The top edge of the placked and the fabric near the slash line will match at the outer edges”. How can they match? The placked is 1.5″ wide and one fourth of that is 3/8″. 1/4″ (from section 30) and 3/8 do not match. What am I missing? I did this and the left part looks ok!

Question 2: Doesn´t folding the skirt placked to the right make the distance from the edge of the skirt placket to the right side seam shorter than the bottom of the bodice it should be attached to? How can they match? Mine does not and I don not understand how it could.

Johanna, Sweden

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey Johanna,

Very perceptive questions!

1. I gave you a little extra width in the skirt back placket for “turn of cloth” and because the testers felt it was a bit tricky to sew. It felt safer to have a little extra there, but if you match the crease to the line of stay stitching you’ll be fine.

2. With regard to the difference in width on the skirt due to the placket, I agonized over that detail and in the end decided it was best to center the placket for the sake of simplicity and because the difference is negligible. Since the skirt edge is curved, the longer edge can easily be “eased in” to the bodice. The shorter side is exactly the same length as the bodice, so you may need to clip into the seam allowances of the skirt in order to match the seam lines, depending on your fabric. Most fabric is stretchy enough along the width, and the curved edge will stretch a bit to help you fit it without clipping. But if you need to clip a bit, don’t be afraid to do so. I hope that helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.