Oliver + S

simple tips for coordinating fabrics?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I usually prefer one fabric for a garment but I think I need to learn to coordinate fabrics so I can use-up what I already own. Are there tips about doing this? I get nervous about mixing fabric weights, patterns, colors, etc

thanks!

LINK
    Emily @Emily

Liesl’s blog series would be a really great place to start:

Principles of Fabric Selection

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/labels/principles-of-fabric-selection

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

Also, along the selvage edge of your fabric you can see a row of solid color dots. These are the colors used in the print–simply compare to these dots fabrics you are considering to quickly see if they co-ordinate. Some unexpected but fabulous combinations can be found this way.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

thank you! both fantastic suggestions. I enjoyed reading the Principles of Fabric suggestions.

so, can I mix quilt cotton with linen or other cotton that might wrinkle more or is a different weight?

are there any good solids or simple woven suggestions to have on hand for mixing?

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

Hmmm…In general, I will mix different fibers, but not weights, in the same garment. I find it can be harder to sew if the weights vary a lot (for ex. one will slide over the other), and the fabrics just don’t drape right.

I’ve been using light tan linen and dark brown pinwale corduroy as basic solids for my little toddler daughter, and it has been working very well.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

thank you sewinginthecity 🙂 great suggestions… and I don’t have either of those basics. I own lots of heavy linen for home applications but could justify a lighter linen for clothes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.