Oliver + S

Silk for silk pajamas?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Lyndsey Stanfill
    @madelouisville

Hi there! I’ve been googling this like crazy but can’t find an answer. Hoping someone on this forum can help.
    What kind of silk fabric is used for traditional men’s silk Pajamas, like the kind Audrey Hepburn wears in Charade? Is that silk satin? Charmeuse? I bought charmeuse but now I’m thinking that won’t have enough body.
    I want to recreate those pajamas using B6296! Thanks!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Lyndsey.
    I bought my dad some silk pajama s a couple of Christmases ago after finding the pajamas cheaper than the fabric!
    I reckon it’s a silk satin that you want. Silk seems to be variously measured in g per sq/m as we’re familiar with, but also in “mommes”.
    I found one reference suggesting that “22mommes was ideal for lightwear, summer sleepwear and 30mommes for a more luxurious feel”.
    And elsewhere, that: 1 momme = 4.340g per sq/m
    I’d look for a silk satin of that more substantial weight, and if you can find it, then go for the “peace” silk, where the little worms get to leave their cocoons rather than being boiled alive in them. 🙂

LINK
    Lyndsey Stanfill
    @madelouisville

Thanks Shelley! That is super helpful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.