Oliver + S

shirt front gathers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Brooke @stitchinfine

I’m sewing hopscotch for the first time, and notice that the instructions for the shirt gathers calls for 2 rows of gathering stitches 1/4″ and 3/8″ from the top raw edge. This strikes me as odd (though it IS my first time sewing a dress with knits). Any other time I have sewn gathers, the gathering stitches were always within the seam allowance.

Additionally, the gather stitches aren’t noted to be removed, so I have to wonder if this should be a scant 1/4″ and 1/8″ or if I just need to trust the pattern and sew on. Thank you for your patience as I learn! 🙂

LINK
    NanaMar @NanaMar

Some patterns may be written to include two gathering lines within the seam allowances but most of the ones I have used have one line of gathering inside the allowance and one outside to control the gathers when you sew the seamline. The threads for the line that shows are removed after the seam is sewn. I learned this technique in Home Economics class in 1957! There are fabrics where a gathering line outside the seam allowance might leave holes that would not iron/press out e.g. silk, laminates, some rain-proof outerwear fabrics. I hope this helps.

LINK
    Brooke @stitchinfine

@nanamar – that’s great to learn!

Just stitched the gathering lines, wish me luck. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.