Oliver + S

Serger accident :(

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of roundtheworldgirlroundtheworldgirl @roundtheworldgirl

    Oh, I am devastated. I have been assembly-line sewing a pair of polka-dotted corduroy Playtime dresses for my girls. Today the dress for my older girl suffered a tragic serger accident. I patched it with the idea of appliqueing something over the patch. But of course, being a serger accident, the hole is very close to a seam, so it’s kind of an awkward place for an applique. The patch itself is not eye-wateringly noticeable, but of course it is noticeable. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I don’t have enough fabric to make a new bodice, though I do have some more of the fabric. I was thinking maybe a bow made out of the same corduroy, but it needs to wash well with a minimum of pressing required afterwards and I am not sure how a bow would fare. This is meant to be a school dress.

    IMG_1661

    Sob.

    LINK
    Profile photo of with love Heidiwith love Heidi @with love Heidi

    What about an applique bow? Or even a bow appliquéd on in the same fabric and then outlined with straight stitch in the same colour as the collar outline, then it will look cohesive and intentional? Such a big frustration for you being so close to done and no more fabric to re cut 🙁

    LINK
    Profile photo of cybele727cybele727 @cybele727

    What about a width of ribbon (1 1/2″) sewn around the circumference of the dress? You could open up the side seam and tuck the ends in and sew it closed again?

    LINK
    Profile photo of Liesl GibsonLiesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

    I think the ribbon idea would be perfect! It will completely mask the hole and add a nice detail to the dress.

    LINK
    Profile photo of SarviSarvi @Sarvi

    Yes, either ribbon or bow should do the trick nicely. Bummer, though 🙁

    LINK
    Profile photo of cybele727cybele727 @cybele727

    I use ribbon to hide a multitude of sins! That suggestion comes from way too much experience! 😉

    LINK
    Profile photo of roundtheworldgirlroundtheworldgirl @roundtheworldgirl

    Thanks all. I ended up going with the applique bow idea and am pretty happy with how it turned out. I knew I’d get good ideas here! http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/10837958665/

    LINK
    Profile photo of TamaraTamara @justsewit

    It was a very clever coverup!

    LINK
    Profile photo of melelizameleliza @meleliza

    Great solution. It looks very purposeful! I somehow snipped a tiny hole in the back skirt of a pink cord. Music box jumper! I guess it happened while I was finishing with the buttons. I’m highly annoyed because I wanted a clean look and really don’t want to patch it at all. I picked these nice wooden buttons to take the edge off the pinkness of it and I loved the subtle effect. I put a square of fusible for now, but that won’t hold. It’s in a really random place below her butt. Ugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.