Oliver + S

Serger accident :(

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Oh, I am devastated. I have been assembly-line sewing a pair of polka-dotted corduroy Playtime dresses for my girls. Today the dress for my older girl suffered a tragic serger accident. I patched it with the idea of appliqueing something over the patch. But of course, being a serger accident, the hole is very close to a seam, so it’s kind of an awkward place for an applique. The patch itself is not eye-wateringly noticeable, but of course it is noticeable. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I don’t have enough fabric to make a new bodice, though I do have some more of the fabric. I was thinking maybe a bow made out of the same corduroy, but it needs to wash well with a minimum of pressing required afterwards and I am not sure how a bow would fare. This is meant to be a school dress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/10816348344/

Sob.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about an applique bow? Or even a bow appliquéd on in the same fabric and then outlined with straight stitch in the same colour as the collar outline, then it will look cohesive and intentional? Such a big frustration for you being so close to done and no more fabric to re cut 🙁

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

What about a width of ribbon (1 1/2″) sewn around the circumference of the dress? You could open up the side seam and tuck the ends in and sew it closed again?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think the ribbon idea would be perfect! It will completely mask the hole and add a nice detail to the dress.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yes, either ribbon or bow should do the trick nicely. Bummer, though 🙁

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I use ribbon to hide a multitude of sins! That suggestion comes from way too much experience! 😉

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Thanks all. I ended up going with the applique bow idea and am pretty happy with how it turned out. I knew I’d get good ideas here! http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/10837958665/

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It was a very clever coverup!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Great solution. It looks very purposeful! I somehow snipped a tiny hole in the back skirt of a pink cord. Music box jumper! I guess it happened while I was finishing with the buttons. I’m highly annoyed because I wanted a clean look and really don’t want to patch it at all. I picked these nice wooden buttons to take the edge off the pinkness of it and I loved the subtle effect. I put a square of fusible for now, but that won’t hold. It’s in a really random place below her butt. Ugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.