Oliver + S

Seashore with sleeves and snaps , is it possible

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Florence Taylor @FlorenceTaylor

Hi so I did it I fell in love with the seashore sundress but its winter in PA and the twins are begging me to make it #1 can snaps be substitutes for the buttons #2 can sleeves be added to it , they currently love bishop and tulip sleeves. Ant help would be appreciated.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sure, you could easily swap the buttons for snaps, no problem. I don’t know how you’d add sleeves, however. I’d suggest wearing a long-sleeved shirt underneath instead.

LINK

@liesl thank you, ugh the girls swooned over it a few weeks ago and then were silent, well then someone posted it on the fb page and it was reawakened lol . Its cold in PA and they totally are begging me to make it sleeves lol. Is there a way to maybe modify another dress that has the dropped waist and hidden pockets ( the 2 factors they loves best). I do have the BB book but wanted a realistic and simpler method to construct.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Florence, given the opening at the shoulder/neckline, I can’t see any way to include sleeves without some serious innovations. But if you can figure out how to do it I’d love to see what you do!

LINK

@liesl I see what you mean, I just opened the file and looked it over and I see what you mean, will I better get my thinking cap on or steer them to another pattern lol. Thank you for your help

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi @florencetaylor “sorry” to have inspired you into this quandary 🙂

Here’s what my approach would be: start with the building block dress: do princess seams and dropped waist adjustments. At the dropped waist you can add the ruffles and pockets using the Seashore pattern as a guide.
    Give it a neckline facing and copy across the Seashore’s gentle sweetheart neckline.
    Use whichever sleeves you like.
    I’d finish it with an invisible zipper at the back myself. I think any shoulder closure that works with snaps (think Book Report, After School, Sail Boat top) would look dreadful with the princess seams running into the shoulder.

So, you do have the Building Block Dress Book, don’t you? 😉
    (Can’t believe I beat @liesl to that question! He he)

LINK

@lightningmcstitch yes I have the BB book !!! teehee and yep you totally beat @liesl I love your suggestions and it will take me out of my comfort zone and step p my game ( which is my 2018 sew goals) so yes I will start drafting and putting on my thinking cap. Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.