Oliver + S

Rotary Cutting!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I just cut this pattern out with my rotary blade, and it was a perfect pattern to do this. I cut out two different fabrics at the same time, and halfed my prep time! All my edges are clean and pristine, the notches, exact. If you’ve never used a rotary cutter for patterns before, try this one. And now back to sewing.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh, I use my rotary cutter for everything!! It does save so much time!

In fact, I have actually found my husband trying to sneak and use it before – on paper!! gah!

LINK
    mela @mela

NOOOOOO, not on paper! 🙂

I have tried rotary cutting patterns before, but sometimes it feels too risky (specifically when there’s any curves). I might do parts of a pattern with a small (the smallest available) rotary cutter, then do the tougher curves with scissors. But I have to admit (embarrasingly) that I never thought about doubling my fabric. OF COURSE! Thank you for mentioning that! Although I feel silly for not ever thinking of it myself, I’m so happy to now know that is an option! Thank you JohannaO!

LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

I’ve been thinking of trying this, but how do you cut the notches?! I’m sure I’ll think “duh, of course” when I find out but just can’t see it right now!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I cut out the pattern, and then I go back and “tap” the notches with the small rotary cutter. (I have a small 18mm and a 45 mm one.) But you could easily go back around and then scissor cut them out. I have a pair of small embroidery scissor that I have been using for notches.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I tried using my rotary cutter for a pattern one time and I was so afraid that I’d veer off and slice through the piece I was cutting. I only use mine if I can lay my ruler along an edge and cut a straight line. I wish I could use it for more, though.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

You can get smaller ones that are really great for pattern cutting. I don’t think I remember how to use a pair of scissors now. 🙂

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Sahmcolorado- That’s why I think this pattern is so great for rotary cutting- most of the lines on the kimono top, and the pants waist and leg bindings are straight lines, so there is very little chance to veer off and make mistakes.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’ll have to give it a try on the next pair of pjs 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.