Oliver + S

Roller Skate dress out 1 yard?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

I have loved seeing all the lovely versions of the roller skate dress on Flickr. I’m wanting to make a size 5/6 and wanted to know if anyone managed to cut the pattern by just using 1 yard for the outer fabric? I have some cute Sarah Jane fabric but only have a yard and the pattern calls for 1.5 yards. Thanks, Lisa.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I think you could cut it out of a yard as long as you can flip some pieces upside down. If not, the yard and a half might be necessary. I haven’t laid it out yet, but I measured the pattern piece and it was closer to 30 inches.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

The cutting layout shows the pieces laying staggered lengthwise, not side-by-side. Depending on the width of the pattern pieces and the print of your fabric you could certainly try to jigsaw them a little bit. It will depend on the width of the pieces, though. I did the size 7 and the pieces didn’t fit side by side from any angle, they were too wide.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

Further thought….

This darling version (below link) would possibly work for you if you end up not being able to fit the full dress pieces on your 1 yard of Sarah Jane fabric. What she has done is cut the tunic length out of one fabric and then used the remaining piece meant for the dress length in a contrasting fabric. She attached the two and has made this wonderful version.

My first Oliver + S pattern - Roller skate dress

This would work for your small piece of Sarah Jane and finish the bottom length in a coordinating print or color. Just an idea.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I love that one and will totally do it even when I don’t need to, just because it looks so nice.

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

Thanks ladies. I have a feeling that I’ll have to go with the coordinating piece at the bottom, or just perhaps make it in a smaller size for my younger girl. Thanks again!

LINK
    sandaniels @sandaniels

I made the dress but only had a yard of fabric, so I cut the yard to the length of the tunic and then used a coordinating fabric to make up the difference to the dress length. It came out really well! I just went to link to a picture of the dress i made and then noticed that KarenK above already linked to it! 🙂

LINK
    sandaniels @sandaniels

That was a size 6 by the way.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It all depends on the width too! I have just cut out the size 12 dress for my daughter – you would never get that out of a yard – the lining was actually wider than the norm so I managed to use less because of the pattern placement being slightly different.

You could always just do the tunic.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Do you think I could get a size 7 out of a yard of 54 inch width fabric?

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

The cutting layout doesn’t show for a wider width fabric but I measured my dress pieces in size 7, the bigger piece is 12″ wide at the widest point by 28″ long give or take.

LINK
    joslyn @joslyn

I have made the size 4 out of 70 cm of fabric for each of the lining and the main. The back and front pieces are at 180 degrees from each other (not directional pattern).

Good luck!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I should be able to do it, then. Thanks!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I was able to place my size 6 pieces side by side and use less than 1yd of 44″ fabric. It was a tight fit with less than an inch inbetween on part of it, but it can be done:)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.