Oliver + S

Right Front

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Colleen @ColleenS

The sew along says to trim 1 inch from the right front, but the written instructions say to trim 1 1/4 inch from the right front. Which is correct?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Good pick up and very good question.
    I’ve got one cut out and ready to sew for the first time.
    You’re right that the instructions differ. The cut line drawn on the pattern is certainly at the 1&1/4″ distance from the fabric edge.

I tend to follow the written instructions and never look at photographed sew alongs, but now you’ve got me curious…

Which way do we go @liesl ?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Colleen, which printing of the the pattern do you have? You can tell by looking at the copyright box on both the pattern sheet and the instructions will tell you. Look for the smallest number you see there in the row of numbers. If the smallest number is 1, you have a copy from the first printing.

In the second printing, Liesl made a minor tweak to the pattern piece and instructions where she moved the line 1/4″ to the right. And then we updated the sew along as well.

If you have a copy from the first printing, you’ll have the pattern piece and instructions that didn’t have this modification made.

In short, in your case, stick with what you have in the pattern and don’t worry about the difference with the sew along.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Thanks Todd.
    I must have the first printing too. So, will this mean that our placket actually is 1/4″ further in, as the centre front is only a 1/4″ off the cut line, but we’re going to sew the placket on with a 1/2″ seam?
    I know 1/4″ is probably neither here nor there in a shirt with as much ease as this, but I’m curious…
    If I follow the pattern instructions my right front will be 1/4″ narrower than if I follow the sew along, no?

LINK
    Colleen @ColleenS

On my shirt pattern there is a box that says Liesl +Co 30102
    LC018CL CLassic Shirt (1-1) A
    Size 0-20

DOes that mean I have the first printing?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Short version of my long reply….

Use the instructions and pattern pieces that you have, and don’t worry if your instructions differ from what it says in the sew along.

(The pattern piece and the instructions go together. A minor change was made to both for a later printing, and that’s what’s reflected in the sew along. So don’t make any changes to what you have. Use the pattern piece and follow the instructions provided in your copy.)

@colleens
    that’s not the right box. The one you are looking for has a statement about reproducing the pattern and a copyright year in it–along with the Liesl + Co. logo.

LINK
    Colleen @ColleenS

Unfortunately, I have two versions of the pattern! one that I bought digitally and one that I bought in paper version and I have mixed and matched and altered them to the point where they are all mixed together. The copyright code in the electronic version of the instructions that I have sometimes has a 1 and sometimes does not… Anyway I have gone ahead and done the 1 and 1/4inch cut. Will see what happens.

LINK
    Joey Graff @joeyg

Hi there, If you follow the pattern with the written instructions and cut the 1 inch button placket off the right front the subsequent instructions don’t work. Cutting a 1 inch placket and then basting stitches 1/2″from the edge is basically the middle of the placket. I found that I needed to cut a separate 2 inch placket and fold edge over 1/2″ and then will be left with a 1 inch button placket for my button holes. Otherwise you get a much narrower band than desired. (Now looking at the pattern and realizing we don’t use this 1 inch cut off placket at all. It is a separate pattern piece. I wish the pattern was written more clearly. The 1 inch cut off piece is discarded).

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Joey Graff.
    LINK
    Jennifer @JenniferBrady

Thank you for pointing out that there is a whole separate piece for the front button placket…duh! I also thought the 1″ piece cut off was the piece to interface and I’m like, that’s too narrow… I am grateful for this easy to use forum! I didn’t have to scrap my sewing plans for the day!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.