Oliver + S

Reinforcing the knee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Deanna @Deanna

Has anyone had success reinforcing the knee or adding an internal knee patch to the after-school pants? I really like this pattern, but find that my kids are hard on the knees. The two pairs I made for my daughter have needed to be patched. (I do have the cargo pant pattern which can easily be reinforced. I might make a pair of those too.)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve made the cargos with reinforced knees.
    This photo links to the flicker tutorial I made for the double knees on the cargos.
    Field Trip Cargos Double Knees Pic6

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@deanna, I purchased a pair of blue jeans for S a while ago that had a second layer of fabric at the knees. It was simply sewn behind the main fabric at the location of the knees before the jeans were constructed, and it reinforced the fabric very nicely. I thought it was a great idea. I wish we still had them so I could take a photo for you!

LINK
    Deanna @Deanna

@liesl, was the second fabric attached via interfacing? Loose and just sewn in via the seams? (This would work for side seams but the top and bottom would be left loose or have an added seam to the outside.)

Thanks!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I don’t remember, but I seem to recall that the “patch” was sewn to the pants leg at the top and bottom edges. I’d be inclined to avoid interfacing or fusible because I think it would show through if holes wore through the first fabric, you know?

LINK
    Deanna @Deanna

Thanks! Thanks for the tips!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.