Oliver + S

Probably a silly question re Field Trip cargos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    It's me Sophie @Itsmesophie

Hello,

I’m quite new to sewing (and chronically sleep deprived) so I hope you don’t mind my silly question.

I’m about to cut out the Field Trip pants. Do I fold the material in half when cutting 2 of each. It’s just I know they’ll be a mirror of each other and for the life of me can’t work out if that’s ok.

Thanks!

Sophie

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Yes. There is a diagram on the pattern that shows how you should lay the pattern pieces on the fabric for cutting. The diagram shows the fabric folded in half, right sides together, with the selvedges together. Some pattern pieces are placed on the fold. You have to make sure it is folded straight. The warp and the weft of the weave should be perpendicular. I usually press my fabric in half with an iron after I have washed and dried it.

LINK

Thank you. I even looked at the diagram but somehow confused myself. 🙂 I’m using a pinwale cord so also focusing on ensuring the grain runs the right way. I think I’ll iron it like you suggested.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I should point out that you didn’t ask a silly question because you seem to very new to sewing and it is actually a great question to ask!

When you go to fold your fabric, like Jennifer1568 mentioned,the selvages need to align but the fold also needs to not have ripples. Sometimes the fabric wont achieve both so just so long as the fold is not bubbling and the selvages are as together as they can be and not totally crooked, you should be good to go.

With corduroy, you will be working with what is called a nap. Corduroy has piles and when you wipe your hand down and then up it gives different effects. This is the nap in the fabric.

When you go to lay your fabric out, just make sure that all your pieces are facing in the same direction. You need to put them running in line with the selvage instead of across from it (and later on you can break rules and go crazy). Just make sure that your front top part of the pants and the back top of the pants are in the same direction or else you will get a result that may not be pleasing.

So if you are sewing with corduroy I am suspecting you hail from the great country of Australia – or some other beautiful and currently wintry destination. All I can say is there are plenty of people here to help if you get stuck so feel free to ask questions and don’t think yourself silly for doing so. It will honestly help you learn new things and feel confident.

Cant wait to see your field trip pants in corduroy – we have a flickr page for that. Good luck and I hope you have fun sewing them.

Tamara

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m about to start a pair in yellow cord. Did you know that the arrows on the pattern are the indication of the grain line? So you line the arrows up parellel to the fold and your pants are on grain (this makes them hang straight without twisting when worn). Make sure all the arrows (heads) face the same direction. This is espically important for the corduroy nap as justsewit mentions.

Have fun and ask lots of questions. As I mentioned I am also sewing some in cord and try to check here once a day.

LINK

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

Yes I am from Australia. I noticed there seem to be a few here. I have done some sewing including some O+S bucket hats with the cord on one side and laminated cotton on the other. But I am self taught and relatively new to it all. I have a lovely friend who lives down the street who has sewn for years and helps when I need it. My grandmother was a professional sewer for Channel 9 so I’m told its in my genes.

With love Heidi I look forward to seeing your pants. I will join Flickr too so I can share my creation.

Tamara, thanks for the tip with the cord.

LINK

Sorry I should add yes I know about the grain lines, nap etc. I have a 12 month old that doesn’t sleep so I am very sleep deprived so struggle to make sense of anything. 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Glad you already know about grain lines.l was talking to Myself as well since l can be somewhat lazy with grain if I can fit the pattern in less space but I knew it would matter here ! Hope bub starts sleeping soon!!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Sophie, what a great user name. When my daughter was a toddler she’d walk into a room and announce, “It’s me, Sophie!” I forgot about that. Makes me smile when I see your name.

LINK

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Robin your daughter sounds great.

So I have finished my first pair. The pattern was just lovely to work from. I top stitched in the same colour as it was my first attempt but next time I might try a contrast. M just starting on a pair for my 4 year old now.

I’m going to set up a Flickr account so I can share.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.