Oliver + S

Oversized Classic Shirt?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Barb @Barb

I have some white, kind of windowpane checked double gauze. I’d like to make a slouchy Classic shirt with it for summer. What’s the best way to make it bigger without looking too sloppy? I’m kind of chesty for my size and sometimes slouchy ends up looking like maternity wear if it hangs too far away from my body. I LOVE the Classic shirt pattern and I’ve made tons of them, but they are all fitted. Is it best to keep it fitted through the shoulders and bust and just upsize the sleeves and torso a bit so I don’t look like I’m being swallowed by the shirt? Also, I have not ever sewn with double gauze before so any tips would be appreciated!

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I’m no help on slouchy vs sloppy, but on the sewing with double gauze: it’s trickier than lawn or quilting cotton, at least in my opinion. It doesn’t stretch exactly, but it has way more give than most wovens, so you have to be careful when cutting and sewing in a similar way that you do when working with knits. It also doesn’t press all that well, especially narrow hems. The seams also get bulkier than you’d think – I needed to stuff fabric under my foot behind the needle to sew across seams.

That all said, it still sewed up fine on my machine (I do use a walking foot, but I use it for everything except zippers). I just had to be more careful, and in some cases go slower, than I would with something like lawn.

LINK
    Barb @Barb

Thanks for the tips!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I have one that I’ll post as soon as I find time. I usually sew a 6 or 8 and went up to a 12 for oversized, and it went really well! Promise to post soon.

LINK
    Barb @Barb

Oh thanks! Look forward to seeing what you did.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.