Oliver + S

Night Gown

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

I would like to lengthen the dress pattern into a long night gown for my daughter. I’m a fairly new sewer, all though I have about 75% of Oliver and S patterns under my belt, so any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have lengthen this dress before, it’s not hard! I added two inches to the bottom, keeping the same shape as in the pattern on hem. I then redrew the hem facings pattern pieces to match the new hem line. (Juts copy the bottom two inches of the dress for these pattern pieces. It should work no matter how long you make the dress. Nicole had a picture in her flicker of the Tea Party dress lengthen the same way, I see if I can find it.

~Sharon~

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I would just lengthen the skirt. You only need to worry about the width of the skirt at the bottom, to allow room for walking. The skirt on this pattern is pretty wide already so you probably don’t need to add more than a few inches to the bottom. In that case, you will want to draw a horizontal line where you want the skirt to end, making that line as wide as you want the bottom to be, and then just connect from the ends of the line to the top of skirt. Does that make sense?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Ok I miss read, I have done this with the Playdate dress but it should work fine with the playtime dress as well. Here is Nicole picture on she lengthen the Tea Party dress but the same idea for the Playtime dress too.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Um, I think this skirt is just a rectangle, so lengthen as much as you like without any worry about hems or width for walking. If your daughter is in between sizes. I suggest sizing up. I found this dress just a touch on the snug side and is think roomy is best for nightwear

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It depends on how long you want the nightgown to go. I made one in a stable knit and it fell to just below her knees – I think I added at least 2 inches because she is tall anyway. She uses it as a nightie. As to skirt width, I don’t remember adding and it isn’t too narrow but not super twirly either so again I think it is a matter of personal choice. Having said that, you don’t want masses of fabric in bed with you while sleeping.

This dress can also be adapted for the warmer months by not including the second part of the sleeve. Just use a bias to finish it off.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Brilliant, T! I was just looking at the Playtime last night and wondering if what you suggested could be done. Any tips about where the shoulder/sleeve seam lands on the wearer’s arms. I thought of comparing the length of the shoulder seam in the relevant size with the shoulder seam of the Ice Cream dress. What do you think?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.