Oliver + S

mixing fabrics?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    icicle @icicle

Hi Ladies,

I’m tracing this top pattern out now and I was wondering about mixing my knit with a flannel for pjs. For those of you who’ve made this up — do you think it would work with the body section in a woven fabric and the sleeves and yokes in a knit?

–christina

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

My daughter is slender, but she is all elbows as she goes into the top, and she needs the body panels to “give” as she gets into it. If it was made out of a woven, I think you might run into 2 problems, getting all the elbows through the main part of the top because it is very slim fitting, and difficulty getting it over the head, as the neckband needs to “give” with the back panel.

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

I think I can imagine the end result you’d like but I wouldn’t mix a woven and a knit. (Somewhere in the filing cabinet of my mind there’s a little file card that has the REASON for this on it… but I can’t find it!) I have a feeling there would be puckering along seams and, as JohannaO says, it would be hard to get into.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

JohannaO — that’s exactly what I needed to know, thank you! I see now the yoke is higher than I realized and even with the gather it would be a tight fit without some stretch.

Thanks, ladies. My head knows it’s not really an option but the print and solid just goes so well together, I thought I’d float the idea out there. Perhaps I’ll risk a pucker or two and try a cuff on the pants instead.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Christina,

It is possible to mix knits and wovens. 2 tops that I made recently using Ottobre Design patterns were specifically designed for that.

I tried it on the Hopscotch top. It worked for me but I only replaced the front panel with a woven. There’s still enough stretch to get on and off with no problems since all the other pieces are still a knit. I had forgotten until I started cutting the fabric that the armscythe is continued from the yoke to the front panel and worried that the opening would end up too tight in the armpit because of that. I held my breath when Miss M put the shirt on for me to take pictures but it went on easily and she didn’t complain (at least not about the shirt, about having to pose for pictures, YES!). She also wore it for the rest of the afternoon with no complaints.

I did add 4 inches to the width of the panel since I wanted more gathers across the front. The side seams went together nice and flat as you can see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27858004@N05/5538228616/ Hope that helps!

Cindy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.