Oliver + S

Maxi Length Soho

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Whistler76 @tkalaski@icloud.com

Hi, I am thinking of making the Soho as a maxi in a brocade (265 gsm) for a wedding. Love to hear if anyone else has made a maxi, if they made any changes to the pattern other than length or would suggest any changes. As well any comments on a heavier, less drapey fabric would be welcomed. Nothing is set in stone yet so feel free to let me know if you have tried something similar with limited success! Thanks so much.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I was hoping someone would reply to tell you they had tried this, but you must be the first one! I’ve lengthened the skirt to midi length and see no reason why it won’t work for maxi length. There’s plenty of sweep so you’ll be able to walk. Two words of advice: one, I would suggest checking the drape of your fabric to be sure it’s not TOO voluminous. And two: if it has a lot of body or you prefer for the pleats to lie more flat at the hips, you could always stitch down the pleats instead of basting and removing the basting stitches. I hope that helps and I want to see how it turns out!

LINK
    Whistler76 @tkalaski@icloud.com

Thanks so much. I am thinking I will give this a go but may hack the pattern to remove the back pleats and keep the front. I will sew down the front pleats (great advice!). I have tried on a RTW skirt out of very similar material and that was one way to minimize the volume so I think I will give it a go! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I hope it goes well! Please show us when you’re done, and I’ll check in from time to time to make sure you’re doing ok in the meantime.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.