Oliver + S

Jump Rope – Uniform “All Clear”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I am so excited, I had to tell someone! I just got the all-clear to make View A for my daughter’s school uniform (she’s in Kindergarten). It must be all khaki or all navy twill, but nonetheless, I’m ecstatic!

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

I think it’ll look splendid in twill, with all the sweet tailored details. Sweet Pea is so lucky to have a mama who sews.

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

April, are you going to do the short sleeve version?

LINK
    admin
    Keymaster
    @admin

April,

I’ve seen several other people mention that they are sewing Oliver + S patterns for school uniforms. But I don’t know how this works–not having a child old enough to be in a school with a uniform requirement.

How does the school determine what defines a “uniform”? And then how do they determine if a certain style meets the requirements? Do they have all sorts of requirements (length, color, style, etc.?) or is it more lax? And what do most people do? Do they buy uniforms from the school, or can they find things off the rack in a store that meet the requirements?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Meg – I will make the short sleeve version now and maybe the long-sleeved version with View A (same style as short sleeve) later in the fall/winter.

Todd – The uniform requirement is set by the school and as far as the places to purchase uniforms depends on the leniency of the uniform policy. Our particular school (a public charter school) allows a solid colored collared polo shirt – long sleeve or short sleeve *OR* a button-down collared shirt / blouse. It doesn’t matter the color, provided it is solid and has the school emblem embroidered in the right location. Pants or tailored shorts must be khaki or navy blue. Skorts, skirts or jumpers for girls – again, khaki or navy. The reason I approached the school principal with the Jump Rope dress is because it seemed to incorporate all of the requirements into one. Dresses have not typically been allowed.

Initially our school required that uniforms be purchased at specific places, but then they relaxed that policy as long as the guidelines were still met. It seems uniform-wear is a growing trend so I am seeing more and more stores targeting the market. Wal-Mart, Target, Old Navy, Gap, Lands End, etc…

Knowing I was approaching the end of ‘fun’ sewing (with pretty fabrics), I was thinking of ways I could still have the creative outlet so I decided to sew some of the items for SweetPea’s uniform wardrobe. I’m actually really enjoying it despite the lack of pretty prints! Well, and I’m finding ways of incorporating them into hidden places where only she can see. (i.e. pocket linings, facings, etc…)

LINK
    jeanne @jeanne

Hi Todd,

Next week, my daughter is entering our local public school system which starts at k1 (preschool). Many schools in the district require that students wear a uniform, but each school decides on how strict they are about their own uniform policy.

My daughter’s new school allows for navy blue, light blue, white, and khaki in any combination. We are lucky enough to be allowed to include some subtle prints–I think someone even told me plaid was allowed.

It has been fun revisiting many of the O&S patterns, but using more subtle fabric.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.