Oliver + S

hip size?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    steph @steph

What am I missing?
    The size chart for this pattern shows the Size 2T hip size as 22″ inches.
    But under the “Details” tab, the “Finished Measurements” chart shows the finished hip “relaxed measurement” for a 2T to be 20 1/2 inches.
    I realize that the pattern is designed for a knit with some stretch. But an inch and a half negative ease seems a bit much. The sketches and posted photos do not seem to show the pants stretched tight. Can someone please explain this to me? Many thanks!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

I believe it’s not just the negative ease of the fabric that drives the difference. The pants have an elastic waist, so the relaxed measurement includes the elastic at rest. The waist will expand significantly when worn due to the elastic and the knit fabric.

LINK
    steph @steph

Thanks for the quick response, Todd. I am not so quick!
    Yep: lots of negative ease, and a snug fit – perfect for yoga pants!
    My confusion was the pictures – they all look so loose! I realize that the sketch is intended to be only representational. But what about the photos? I noticed that one of the reviewers had used a size 5 – which matched her child’s height – for a 3-yr old. That would explain the loose fit. Maybe most folks select patterns that way. I, on the other hand, select patterns by hip size, and add a couple inches to the leg length.
    Thanks for the support! That certainly adds value to the pattern.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.